Return of the Inclined Plane Double Pulley: Part II: Energy

In summary, the problem involves a double pulley with two separate pieces, a hoop and a disk, welded together. The moment of inertia is given and two blocks, one on an incline and one hanging from the inner pulley, are connected by massless cables. The system is in motion with given speeds and is affected by friction. The goal is to find the speeds of both blocks when the motion is complete, the total energy and its distribution at the initial instant, and the final distribution of energy before the motion is complete. The key to solving the problem is to use the fact that the angular speed and acceleration of the pulley are the same for both blocks. The attempt at a solution involves setting up equations using the conservation of
bjorn_v

Homework Statement

My last inclined plane problem has a second part to it: There are some energy problems I need to solve.

A double pulley consists of two separate pieces that are welded together; a hoop of radius 10.0 cm and a disk of radius 15.0 cm. The moment of inertia of the pulley is 0.160 kg-m2. A 15.0 kg block (m1), on a 35.0° incline, is attached to the outer pulley by a massless cable and a 24.0 kg block (m2) is hanging from the inner pulley by a massless cable. The incline has a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.250. At the instant shown in the diagram, the two blocks are at a height of 1.50 m and are moving in the appropriate direction with m2 having a speed of 0.240 m/s. The motion is considered complete when either m 1 reaches the bottom of the incline or just before m2 hits the ground.

2vi4mmr.jpg

Use energy methods to answer the following questions.
Assign the zero point reference for potential energy to be the ground for both blocks!

a) What is the speed of block m 1 when the motion is complete?
b) What is the speed of block m 2 when the motion is complete?
c) What is the total energy and the distribution of the energy of the system at the initial instant described?
d) What is the final distribution of the energy of the system just before the motion is complete?

Homework Equations

(Possibly these are relevant?)
PE = KE
mgh = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to answer everything from Part I of the problem. I was able to use forces to find that m2 moves downward, that m1 moves up the ramp, that m2 travels distance h (1.50m) and m1 is pulled 2.25m. The angular acceleration of the pulley should be 8.63. Acceleration of m1 is 1.29, m2 is 0.863, tension in cable 1 is 133.95 and cable 2 is 214.73. Great.

I'm trying to set up some equation to find the velocities of these blocks. Unfortunately, in all the examples I'm finding there are only regular pulleys, so in this answer they solve for a single velocity.

Using the above example I've made a really crude attempt in setting up the problem (which I have little to no confidence in):

[tex]E_1=m_2*g*h_2-m_2*(v_2)^2/2[/tex]
[tex]E_2=m_1*g*2.25*\sinθ+m_1*(v_1)^2/2[/tex]
[tex]E_3=μ*m_1*g*2.25*\cosθ[/tex]
[tex]E_1=E_2+E_3[/tex]

Not even sure if using 2.25 like that would be the right way to go; I was just trying to get the x and y components of the distance m1 travels, which I calculated in the first part, which seems relevant. But I wouldn't be able to use step 4 to set up an equation because I'd have two unknowns, v1 and v2, and that would be no good. And I bet the double pulley should be playing into this equation too but I'm still really confused about how that thing works.

Since the radii in my problem are different I have a very strong feeling the velocities will be different because the smaller inner pulley is going to turn faster. However I also need to factor in friction because m1 is encountering it and is (?) going to slow down m2.

I'd like to apply "PE = KE" which I found here, but that problem is so radically different than this one that I'm not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
bjorn_v said:
Since the radii in my problem are different I have a very strong feeling the velocities will be different because the smaller inner pulley is going to turn faster.
The key is that the inner and outer pulleys have the same angular speed and acceleration as they are welded together. Use that fact to relate the linear speeds of the two masses.

Also, when tracking energy changes, don't forget to include the energy of the pulley.

bjorn_v said:

Homework Statement

My last inclined plane problem has a second part to it: There are some energy problems I need to solve.
a) What is the speed of block m 1 when the motion is complete?
b) What is the speed of block m 2 when the motion is complete?
c) What is the total energy and the distribution of the energy of the system at the initial instant described?
d) What is the final distribution of the energy of the system just before the motion is complete?

Homework Equations

(Possibly these are relevant?)
PE = KE
mgh = 1/2 mv^2

Wrong. The potential energy is not equal to the kinetic energy in general.
Conservation of energy states that the sum of the kinetic energy and the potential energy is constant during the motion of a system, but it is not true when there is friction.
bjorn_v said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to answer everything from Part I of the problem. I was able to use forces to find that m2 moves downward, that m1 moves up the ramp, that m2 travels distance h (1.50m) and m1 is pulled 2.25m. The angular acceleration of the pulley should be 8.63. Acceleration of m1 is 1.29, m2 is 0.863, tension in cable 1 is 133.95 and cable 2 is 214.73. Great.

I'm trying to set up some equation to find the velocities of these blocks. Unfortunately, in all the examples I'm finding there are only regular pulleys, so in this answer they solve for a single velocity.
Using the above example I've made a really crude attempt in setting up the problem (which I have little to no confidence in):

[tex]E_1=m_2*g*h_2-m_2*(v_2)^2/2[/tex]
[tex]E_2=m_1*g*2.25*\sinθ+m_1*(v_1)^2/2[/tex]
[tex]E_3=μ*m_1*g*2.25*\cosθ[/tex]
[tex]E_1=E_2+E_3[/tex]

What are those E-s?

bjorn_v said:
Not even sure if using 2.25 like that would be the right way to go; I was just trying to get the x and y components of the distance m1 travels, which I calculated in the first part, which seems relevant. But I wouldn't be able to use step 4 to set up an equation because I'd have two unknowns, v1 and v2, and that would be no good. And I bet the double pulley should be playing into this equation too but I'm still really confused about how that thing works.

Since the radii in my problem are different I have a very strong feeling the velocities will be different because the smaller inner pulley is going to turn faster. However I also need to factor in friction because m1 is encountering it and is (?) going to slow down m2.
I'd like to apply "PE = KE" which I found here, but that problem is so radically different than this one that I'm not sure how.

Why do you keep on copying the solution of a completely different problem? You feel it will not work, and it does not work. There are different accelerations, velocities and distances, all differing by the same factor R1/R2.

There is friction, you can not ignore it. In case of friction, is the mechanical energy conserved?

Anyway, you know the acceleration and the distance traveled for both blocks. It is uniformly accelerating motion. Given the path taken and the initial velocity of m2. Can you find the final velocity then?

ehild

Last edited:

I would approach this problem by first breaking it down into smaller parts and then using energy conservation principles to solve for the desired quantities.

First, let's assign a zero point reference for potential energy to be the ground for both blocks, as stated in the problem. This means that the potential energy of both blocks at the initial instant is zero.

a) To find the speed of block m1 when the motion is complete, we can use the principle of conservation of energy. The total initial energy of the system is equal to the total final energy. At the initial instant, the only form of energy present is potential energy. At the final instant, the only form of energy present is kinetic energy. Therefore, we can equate the initial potential energy to the final kinetic energy:

m1gh = 1/2 m1v1^2

Solving for v1, we get:

v1 = √(2gh)

b) Similarly, to find the speed of block m2 when the motion is complete, we can use the same principle of conservation of energy. At the initial instant, the only form of energy present is potential energy. At the final instant, the potential energy of m2 is zero (since it has reached the ground) and the kinetic energy of m2 is 1/2 m2v2^2. Therefore, we can equate the initial potential energy to the final kinetic energy:

m2gh2 = 1/2 m2v2^2

Solving for v2, we get:

v2 = √(2gh2)

c) To find the total energy and the distribution of energy of the system at the initial instant described, we can use the equation for potential energy:

E = mgh

At the initial instant, the total energy of the system is equal to the potential energy of both blocks, which can be calculated using the above equation. The distribution of energy is as follows:

Total energy = m1gh + m2gh2
Potential energy of m1 = m1gh
Potential energy of m2 = m2gh2

d) To find the final distribution of energy of the system just before the motion is complete, we can use the same principle of conservation of energy. At the final instant, the potential energy of both blocks is zero and the kinetic energy of both blocks is 1/2m1v1^2 and 1/2

1. How does the inclined plane double pulley system conserve energy?

The inclined plane double pulley system conserves energy by utilizing the principle of mechanical advantage. This means that the force required to lift an object is reduced by using the inclined plane and double pulley, allowing for less work to be done and conserving energy.

2. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy in this system?

Potential energy is the energy that is stored in an object due to its position or state, such as the potential energy of an object at the top of the inclined plane. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, such as the kinetic energy of an object being lifted by the double pulley. In this system, potential energy is converted to kinetic energy as the object moves down the inclined plane and is lifted by the double pulley.

3. How does friction affect the energy conservation in this system?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can cause some energy to be lost in the form of heat. In the inclined plane double pulley system, friction can decrease the efficiency of the system and cause some energy to be lost to heat. This means that the system may not conserve energy perfectly, but it will still reduce the amount of work needed to lift an object compared to lifting it straight up.

4. Can this system be used to lift objects of any weight?

Yes, the inclined plane double pulley system can be used to lift objects of any weight as long as the correct mechanical advantage is utilized. This means that the amount of force needed to lift an object can be determined based on the weight of the object and the angle of the inclined plane and the number of pulleys used in the system.

5. How is the efficiency of this system calculated?

The efficiency of this system can be calculated by dividing the output work (lifting the object) by the input work (applying a force to lift the object) and multiplying by 100%. The result will be a percentage that represents how much of the energy put into the system was converted to useful output work.