Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
These jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. Even the pickling liquid is extra hot. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/690/2hpo.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks great dlgoff! Fresh jalapeños are difficult to come by where I live, so I normally have to buy them preserved in a similar way. I did find them fresh once though, so I stuffed them with cream cheese, coated them with a light batter and then deep fried them. Spicy, cheesy, and deep fried goodness :smile:

Likes hsdrop
I grow my own hot peppers. Have to can them or freeze them. The season is too short.

Looks great dl, I love pickled jalapenos.

danago said:
I did find them fresh once though, so I stuffed them with cream cheese, coated them with a light batter and then deep fried them. Spicy, cheesy, and deep fried goodness :smile:

Thanks for reminding me that they can be stuffed. I just finished dinner with deep fried onions, so the next time I get the fryer going, I'm going to drain/dry some of these and give it a try.

turbo said:
I grow my own hot peppers. Have to can them or freeze them. The season is too short.

This season was an extra good one. I think of you when growing them. Wish you well up there.

Evo said:
Looks great dl, I love pickled jalapenos.
Thanks Evo. I've eaten a couple right out of the jar, seeds and all, ... Time for beer.

Burp.

This years peppers were a disaster - not only weather was not cooperating, but also we got an early frost which froze peppers. I collected them the next day to dry, but instead of nicely drying they started to mold inside (of which I become aware much later).

In the end I selected the best looking ones, put them in the blade grinder and made a small jar of fine powder. Better than nothing.

Last edited:
Leftovers can be wonderful, but leftarounds almost never are.

Today has been a very interesting day in Modena. I started the morning by visiting an old couple who produce balsamic vinegar in their house. They showed me around and then, free of charge, allowed me to sample a series of 10 different vinegars differing in age and the type of wood in which it is aged. They even spoke slowly to me (Italian isn't my mother language, so I struggle when people speak at a native pace). I ended up spending about 130 euros on two small bottles of vinegar :eek:

Then, I went to a trattoria for lunch. I was alone because my friend didn't come to Modena with me, so I was placed on a table with two old ladies from Bari who didn't speak English. It was a great opportunity to practice my Italian, but more importantly it was a great chance to sample a few Modenese dishes. I didn't select anything - the women and the waitress selected everything for me. Three plates plus a bottle of Lambrusco (and I'm talking about a full sized bottle...so much so that I drank less than half of it) for just 15 euros :big grin:

Finally, tonight, I am going to Osteria Francescana, recently voted by Restaurant magazine as the third best restaurant in the world. It won't be as cheap as lunch, that's for sure :roll eyes:

danago said:
Today has been a very interesting day in Modena. I started the morning by visiting an old couple who produce balsamic vinegar in their house. They showed me around and then, free of charge, allowed me to sample a series of 10 different vinegars differing in age and the type of wood in which it is aged. They even spoke slowly to me (Italian isn't my mother language, so I struggle when people speak at a native pace). I ended up spending about 130 euros on two small bottles of vinegar :eek:

Then, I went to a trattoria for lunch. I was alone because my friend didn't come to Modena with me, so I was placed on a table with two old ladies from Bari who didn't speak English. It was a great opportunity to practice my Italian, but more importantly it was a great chance to sample a few Modenese dishes. I didn't select anything - the women and the waitress selected everything for me. Three plates plus a bottle of Lambrusco (and I'm talking about a full sized bottle...so much so that I drank less than half of it) for just 15 euros :big grin:

Finally, tonight, I am going to Osteria Francescana, recently voted by Restaurant magazine as the third best restaurant in the world. It won't be as cheap as lunch, that's for sure :roll eyes:
Oh, how I envy you!

Evo said:
Oh, how I envy you!

Tall Guy's BBQ sliders are out of this world
https://tallguyandagrill.com/caramelized-onion-bbq-sliders/

I had this typical Tuscan soup with cavolo nero and bread while visiting Siena:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1555304_385493181594734_736584983_n.jpg

It's probably the closest thing to healthy I've eaten on this trip so far :rolleyes: It was very tasty, and a dish that I will certainly try to recreate when I go home.

I woke up famished this morning, and wished that I could wander over to the cafeteria at General Physics. When I worked there, breakfast was heavenly. SOS (creamed chipped beef on toast), hash browns, corned beef hash, bacon, ham, eggs to order, home-fried potatoes and onions, grits... anything you wanted. Most of the guys at GP were recruited out of the submarine service, and breakfasts like this were a treat; especially to the guys from the boomers, where deployments could be quite lengthy and the fresh food ran out too soon in their tour.

If you are looking for employment and you go nuts over great breakfasts, GP is located in Columbia MD. Nice people. Buttoned-down with calm demeanors and can-do attitudes.

BTW, the biscuits with sausage gravy were to die for, even though they didn't make nice flaky biscuits, but the cakey ones prevalent throughout the South. Still the sausage gravy made it worthwhile. I would have eaten that stuff on Wonder Bread.

Last edited:
I am famished now and this thread's not helping...

turbo said:
I woke up famished this morning, and wished that I could wander over to the cafeteria at General Physics. When I worked there, breakfast was heavenly. SOS (creamed chipped beef on toast), hash browns, corned beef hash, bacon, ham, eggs to order, home-fried potatoes and onions, grits... anything you wanted. Most of the guys at GP were recruited out of the submarine service, and breakfasts like this were a treat; especially to the guys from the boomers, where deployments could be quite lengthy and the fresh food ran out too soon in their tour.

If you are looking for employment and you go nuts over great breakfasts, GP is located in Columbia MD. Nice people. Buttoned-down with calm demeanors and can-do attitudes.

One thing I am missing while I am traveling is a nice big breakfast like that. The usual breakfast in Italy is a sweet pastry of some sort and a coffee. At first it sounded like a nice idea, but I could really go some poached eggs and bacon right now (well, not at this instant, but tomorrow morning when I wake up).

Enigman said:
I am famished now and this thread's not helping...

Then I recommend that you don't look at the website below:

http://www.tastespotting.com

You could get a HUGE breakfast at Skinheads in Paducah, for a modest payout. I ordered the Skinhead Special, and the server eventually started bringing me out plate after plate. IIR, there were 5 plates in all, plus a large carafe of coffee. Where to start? The flank steak, biscuits, sausage gravy could keep you in line, but there were tons of sides that you could barely keep up with. I can eat a lot, but it might have taken 2-3 of me to keep up with a Special. Skinhead was a retired Navy cook that had an impressive reputation in Paducah. Excellent food, cheap.

IIR, the Special cost me only about $6, and I would have paid that for road food just to get the flank steak, baked beans, biscuits, and maybe a couple of sides.There was a LOT more in the Special. Sadly, it seems that skinheads is closed now. It would have been a destination for anybody traveling through northern KY. I ordered the Special, and my server kept bringing out plate after plate until I was flabbergasted. There were a couple of older ladies seated nearby that were nodding and smiling to each other. They knew.

Couldn't decide whether to post it here, or in youtube classic

Wow!

Borek said:

That's quite cool!

danago, where are you, I was enjoying your posts!

danago said:
I had this typical Tuscan soup with cavolo nero and bread while visiting Siena:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1555304_385493181594734_736584983_n.jpg

It's probably the closest thing to healthy I've eaten on this trip so far :rolleyes: It was very tasty, and a dish that I will certainly try to recreate when I go home.

:thumbs: I think I'll add cavolo nero to my list of plants to grow. I had to ask what the "green stuff" was in the cafeteria last week. The chef said it was kale. I didn't know I liked kale until last week.

Evo said:
danago, where are you, I was enjoying your posts!

I agree. You should start giving him infractions if he doesn't post at least once a week. :tongue:

Poor danago!

turbo said:
Poor danago!

Poor danago? He's been working on his own web page today...

How dare he have a life outside of PF...

hmmm...

It would appear, that I stopped working on my own web page, about the time I found PF.

hmmm...

Anyways... danago's meal reminded me of a local restaurant that my brother and his spouse took me to a few years back. Huge plates, microscopic portions, but oh so good. Thank god my brother married a doctor, who paid for everything. :redface:

danago said:
As expected, the bill was a little more than the traditional trattoria down the road (who am I kidding, I could probably have eaten for a week with the price of this dinner), but that is the price of dining at one of the top restaurants in the world – it’s certainly not a twice-a-week type of dinner, but more a few-time-a-year type of experience.

My sentiments, exactly.

Wow, his last dinner looks great! But I really don't get those ugly bell peppers in the banner...

I have acquired a new cooking skill: making summer rolls :biggrin: I found rice paper in the asian store, so decided to have a go at it. First night as an accompaniment to Indian leftovers, the second night as a special request by my boyfriend: he wanted to have 8 rolls for dinner :smile:

The peanut sauce still needs to be perfected, anyone with a recipe?

For those who don't know summer rolls, a picture stolen from the internet:
how-to-roll-summer-roll3.jpg

Haha don't worry, I haven't ran away! I have had a hectic last few weeks, but am now back home in Australia and getting back into the swing of things :smile: As OmCheeto pointed out, I have just written about my dinner at Osteria Francescana. I am currently writing about a lunch I had at the Fat Duck restaurant in Bray, which was by far my most expensive lunch ever (250£ each including one drink). It was also by far the most impressive lunch I have ever had! It is truly a spectacular experience for anybody half interested in food and dining and exceeded my high expectations.

A small teaser...one of Heston's signature dishes: Snail Porridge.

ezla0w.jpg

Monique said:
Wow, his last dinner looks great! But I really don't get those ugly bell peppers in the banner...

I have acquired a new cooking skill: making summer rolls :biggrin: I found rice paper in the asian store, so decided to have a go at it. First night as an accompaniment to Indian leftovers, the second night as a special request by my boyfriend: he wanted to have 8 rolls for dinner :smile:

The first time I was faced with one of these in a restaurant, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to eat the wrapping or not :redface:! It looks plastic. (Btw, yes, it's OK to eat the wrapping.)

Monique said:

isn't that a Vietnamese spring roll?

ecoo said:

Yes, I think so. Mmmmm Vietnamese food *drool*! So delicious!

lisab said:
Yes, I think so. Mmmmm Vietnamese food *drool*! So delicious!

do you go to Pho?

Borek said:

Spices. :!)

lisab said:
The first time I was faced with one of these in a restaurant, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to eat the wrapping or not :redface:! It looks plastic. (Btw, yes, it's OK to eat the wrapping.)
I thought the same :biggrin: But I've been in love with them ever since, I love the herbs and freshness of the wrap.

ecoo said:
No, spring rolls are fried and have a flour-based wrapper. Or do you mean to ask if they are Vietnamese? Yes, I've only had them in Vietnamese restaurants in the States.

<h2>1. What are jalapenos and how are they grown?</h2><p>Jalapenos are a type of chili pepper that is commonly used in Mexican and Southwestern cuisine. They are typically grown from seeds in warm, sunny climates with well-drained soil. They can also be grown in containers indoors.</p><h2>2. How long does it take for jalapenos to grow?</h2><p>Jalapenos typically take 70-80 days to reach maturity. However, this can vary depending on the growing conditions and the specific variety of jalapeno.</p><h2>3. How do I know when my jalapenos are ready to be harvested?</h2><p>Jalapenos are ready to be harvested when they are firm, glossy, and have reached their full size. They should also have a deep green color, although some varieties may turn red when fully ripe.</p><h2>4. Can I grow jalapenos in a colder climate?</h2><p>While jalapenos thrive in warm climates, they can also be grown in colder regions with the help of a greenhouse or by starting the plants indoors and transplanting them outside once the weather warms up.</p><h2>5. How do I store and preserve my jalapeno harvest?</h2><p>Jalapenos can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. They can also be pickled, canned, or frozen for longer-term storage. To freeze jalapenos, simply wash and dry them, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container.</p>

1. What are jalapenos and how are they grown?

Jalapenos are a type of chili pepper that is commonly used in Mexican and Southwestern cuisine. They are typically grown from seeds in warm, sunny climates with well-drained soil. They can also be grown in containers indoors.

2. How long does it take for jalapenos to grow?

Jalapenos typically take 70-80 days to reach maturity. However, this can vary depending on the growing conditions and the specific variety of jalapeno.

3. How do I know when my jalapenos are ready to be harvested?

Jalapenos are ready to be harvested when they are firm, glossy, and have reached their full size. They should also have a deep green color, although some varieties may turn red when fully ripe.

4. Can I grow jalapenos in a colder climate?

While jalapenos thrive in warm climates, they can also be grown in colder regions with the help of a greenhouse or by starting the plants indoors and transplanting them outside once the weather warms up.

5. How do I store and preserve my jalapeno harvest?

Jalapenos can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. They can also be pickled, canned, or frozen for longer-term storage. To freeze jalapenos, simply wash and dry them, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container.