Climb Back Up in Science: A 16-Year-Old's Journey

• Thread starter Joshua Mitchell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary: Unless of course you have a favorite fish, in which case that's great!In summary, Joshua is looking for help to regain his lost knowledge of general physics. He has watched introductory videos on Khan Academy, but he wants to do more. He has also looked into Academic Guidance for help with college applications and other matters.
Joshua Mitchell
I just turned 16, am in 10th grade, and am new here. Long story short, my father teaches AP Biology, AP Chemistry, Anatomy&Physiology, Astronomy, AP Biology, and AP Physics, and is middle school teacher. He's best known for his successful passing rate. Well, I took his class for AP Bio in 7th, and Astronomy and AP Chem and AP Physics in 8th, but that was the only exposer I've ever had to that world of Science. Since then, my memory of the material has gotten foggy a bit. Well, I'm here at this site, because I want the knowlidge that I used to have back. Is there anyone that maybe might be able to help me climb my way back up the basics, to the point to where my knowlidge is back off the ground?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean if a thread is moved? On the title, back in the list of threads in the general physics area, it says "moved"

Joshua said:
What does it mean if a thread is moved? On the title, back in the list of threads in the general physics area, it says "moved"

Welcome to PF!

It just means that the moderators felt that your post fit better in a different part of the Physics Forums. Usually introductory posts are made here, in General Discussion, while General Physics relates specifically to physics questions of a general nature.

Feel free to browse around! You can learn quite a bit just by watching the subforums of your choice. Questions get asked all day long that range from extremely simple to unanswerable, and while I would recommend you participate by asking your own (if you have some) you can learn a great deal just by watching others ask. Even looking through the homework help will refresh your memory of what you may have learned once. There are a lot of really good mods/advisers/homework helpers/etc on this board.

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is now in the General Discussion forum. Look up at the top of the page, at the "breadcrumb" trail that shows you your current location:

Physics Forums > PF Lounge > General Discussion

Then go back to the forums home page, scroll down so you can see the link to General Discussion, and enter it directly. You'll find your thread there, with its normal appearance.

Welcome, Joshua!

A good place to start is to review Khan Academy videos. But simply watching passively isn't going to get you where you want to go - you have to put pencil to paper and work problems, too.

What is your favourite fish?

Hepth said:
Usually introductory posts are made here, in General Discussion, while General Physics relates specifically to physics questions of a general nature.

And if you're looking for advice about what courses to take, college applications, etc., the place to go is Academic Guidance. I see you have some of that in your post, but the Mentor who moved the thread must have overlooked it after the "Hi, I'm new!" and general information which normally belongs here in GD.

I second the request for information about your favorite fish. :smile:

I don't have a favorite fish... Just wondering, why do you guys ask?

Just pick a big one. I'm sure someone will explain.

I barely even have any range of knowledge of what different types of fish there are out there... Can someone please explain to me why you're asking?

Joshua said:
I barely even have any range of knowledge of what different types of fish there are out there... Can someone please explain to me why you're asking?

It's just our "thing". It's weird, we know.

Salmon? Tuna? Megadolon?

lisab said:
It's just our "thing". It's weird, we know.
Weird is what makes it special. :approve:

You guys are awesome, I've come to terms.

Joshua said:
You guys are awesome, I've come to terms.
So what's your fish?

Do you mean to eat, or a fish that just fascinates me?

Fish. Just fish.

Don't make it more complicated than it really is. We don't like philosophy here.

just a heads up, no matter what fish you choose you are subject to a punishment, what kind will solely depend on the fish.

Borek said:
Fish. Just fish.

Don't make it more complicated than it really is. We don't like philosophy here.

To fish, or not to fish, that is the question—
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Flies and Fishhookes of outrageous Fortune, [...]

I don't have one. Please understand. Even if i wanted to pick a random one, I don't have a wide enough range of knowlidge of different fish out there to do so. Please tell me why. ;_;

Joshua said:
I don't have one. Please understand. Even if i wanted to pick a random one, I don't have a wide enough range of knowlidge of different fish out there to do so. Please tell me why. ;_;
Too bad, you cannot be initiated into PF now. You are the first person to ever fail initiation.

It's just a fun thing we do to officially welcome new members, no big deal that you chose not to participate. Don't worry about it.

Evo said:
Don't worry about it.

Not that it will be ever forgotten.

Likes 1 person
Borek said:
Nothing's ever forgotten. :devil:

You shall be put to the rack, burnt at the stake and beheaded.

Borek said:
Fish. Just fish.

:rofl:

Borek said:

:rofl::cry::rofl:

That made my day! :rofl:

Welcome to PF Joshua. :)

Here, why don't you guys put your favorite fish, and by the magic of google images, maybe I'll side with somebody.

Joshua said:
Here, why don't you guys put your favorite fish, and by the magic of google images, maybe I'll side with somebody.
Here's a record-size catfish.

large-fish-record-girl-catch-365ds071609.jpg

Hey guys, I made this thread... why can't I access it anymore? https://www.physicsforums.com/404_forum.php

Joshua said:
Hey guys, I made this thread... why can't I access it anymore? https://www.physicsforums.com/404_forum.php
It was deleted. If you weren't notified, it was deleted because we do not discuss telepathy.

Why not? If I may

Joshua said:
Why not? If I may
It's against our rules, which you agreed to and said you read when you registered.

That telepathy wouldn't be brought up?

Joshua said:
That telepathy wouldn't be brought up?
Where in the rules would telepathy be allowed? Please quote the part that allows it.

Wait, so it actually says "Telepathy can't be brought up"? (or some'n like that.) Wow... To be honest that's pretty low. I had such a good question too. ;_;