Why is PF Promoting 'What the Bleep' Merchandise?

• Thread starter pattylou
  • Start date
In summary: PF is now promoting 'What the Bleep' merchandise in order to make money. I don't understand why they would do this, as it is not a popular show and the books by the 'water doctor' seem to be filled with questionable science.
pattylou
Why is PF promoting 'What the Bleep' merchandise at the top - including the books by the "water doctor" etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
pattylou said:
Why is PF promoting 'What the Bleep' merchandise at the top - including the books by the "water doctor" etc?

I believe that those are google ads and PF has no control over what pops up...

But I don't mind them since I just don't click them. After all, this website needs to make money, right?

Its google's ad system. It picks out relevant words from the forum and matches them with words in its advertising database to display "relevent" advertisements.

I think there is some way of reporting ones that you think are bad.

Yah, greg says he can tell google to stop displaying certain ads.

Thanks pattylou, I forwarded the link to Greg.

(sticks one GOOBF card into patty's harddrive)

Does nobody listen to my posts telling them how to disable the ads?

I have looked all over and can not see any adds :confused:

Contributors don't see any ad. It is part of the perks you get when you pay.

loseyourname said:
Does nobody listen to my posts telling them how to disable the ads?
Ha, I have made a few similar posts. I think that people don't take anything gd regulars say seriously :smile:

us contributers can't see the ads. Greg can block the ads if you PM him about it.

There are ads? Oh right, those things. Forgot they were even there.

what goona be a problem then if it is there?

My concern isn't that *I* see the ads.

I don't really care if others see the ads, either. But the show was panned here, soundly and repeatedly, the water doctor's science seems awfully questionable, ... An ad selling his book seems about as reasonable as selling something promoting geocentrism... on the Physics Forums.

Does that not seem a bit out of place?

Dont see no ads, don't care. Support PF and you won't need to swear :biggrin:

So it's all a stunt to get my money. Hmmm... I see.

Math. Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Please explain.

Atomos said:
Please explain.

Quote from Family Guy, I believe.

I don't get it. Big brother is watching?

pattylou said:

Firefox has an extention that can block specified web content, aka ads.

pattylou said:

Big Brother has morphed into big business.

FAQ: Why is PF Promoting 'What the Bleep' Merchandise?

1. Why is PF promoting merchandise related to "What the Bleep"?

PF, or the organization behind the popular science website "Physics Forums", is promoting merchandise related to "What the Bleep" as a way to support and fund their website and its resources. By selling merchandise, PF is able to generate revenue that helps cover the costs of maintaining and running the website, including hosting fees, staff salaries, and development costs.

2. Is PF endorsing the ideas presented in "What the Bleep"?

No, PF is not endorsing the ideas presented in "What the Bleep". The merchandise being promoted is simply a way to generate revenue for the website and does not reflect the beliefs or endorsements of the organization.

3. Are there any conflicts between the scientific community and the ideas presented in "What the Bleep"?

Yes, there have been significant conflicts between the scientific community and the ideas presented in "What the Bleep". The film has been widely criticized for promoting pseudoscience and misrepresenting scientific concepts.

4. Is it appropriate for a science website to promote merchandise related to a controversial film like "What the Bleep"?

This is a subjective question and opinions may vary. However, as long as the merchandise is clearly labeled as a form of support for the website and not an endorsement of the film's ideas, it can be seen as an acceptable way for PF to generate revenue.

5. Will purchasing merchandise from "What the Bleep" support scientific research?

No, purchasing merchandise from "What the Bleep" will not directly support scientific research. However, by supporting and funding the website, PF is able to provide a platform for scientific discussions and resources that can contribute to scientific research and education in the long run.

Back