0 when irrational, 1/q in lowest terms with rational not differentiable.

In summary, the conversation discusses a function that is not differentiable anywhere. It is discontinuous at rational numbers and can be evaluated using a sequence of terms that converge to irrational numbers. The function is continuous for all irrational points and the numerator and denominator in its decimal form can be simplified to lowest terms to determine the value of the function at a given point.
holezch

Homework Statement

Hi, I have this function:

f(x ) = 0 (x is irrational) or f(x) = 1/q for rational p/q in lowest terms.

show that this function is not differentiable anywhere

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the answer from the solutions book:
consider [(f(a+h) - f(a ) ) / h ]. function f is discontinuous at rational numbers, so we only have to look at irrational a.

if h is rational, then f(a+h) - f(a ) = 0
if h is irrational, then let a = m.a1a2a3...an and h = -0.00...an+1
Then, a + h = m1.a1a2a3..an0000 and f(a+h) > 10^(-n)

My question is.. how do we know anything about f(a+h)? a+h is > 10^(-n) but what is f(a+h)?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try finding a sequence (xn) of terms that converge to irrational x but f(xn) does not converge to f(x). Take rational values in the sequence.

thanks for the tip.. I will think about it.. (I think it will be some kind of dirchlet type function?) But is that going to help answer the f(a+h) > 10^(-n) confusion?
thanks

You know that a+h in decimal form is [tex] .a_1 a_2 a_3... a_n = \frac{a_1 a_2 a_3... a_n}{10^{-n}}[/tex]. Now that you know what a+h is as a rational number, what can you say about f(a+h)?

No, I just suggested it because I think it is the much easier method.
To compute f(a+h), write down a+h's decimal expansion. What kind of number is it? Where does f send it to?

hi guys, thanks!

But officeshredder, how do I know that your fraction there is in lowest terms?

holezch said:
hi guys, thanks!

But officeshredder, how do I know that your fraction there is in lowest terms?

You don't. But if you can write it on lower terms the denominator is smaller, which makes f(x) bigger

Also, I'm not convinced such a sequence exists VeeEight. The function seems to be continuous at all irrational points

I'm a bit confused.. how do you write that fraction into p/q lowest terms where p and q are integers? thanks
and the function is continuous for all irrational points

We have it in the form a/(10n). This might not be in lowest terms, which means the numerator and denominator share a common factor. How do you write it in lowest terms? You cancel the common factor, making it say p/q. This makes both the numerator and the denominator smaller, so if q<10n, what can you say about 1/q (which is f(a/10n))

1. What does "0 when irrational, 1/q in lowest terms with rational not differentiable" mean?

This statement is referring to a specific mathematical function, also known as the Thomae's function. It is defined as f(x) = 0 if x is irrational, and f(x) = 1/q if x is rational and can be expressed in lowest terms as p/q, where p and q are integers. This function is not differentiable at any rational point, meaning its derivative does not exist at these points.

2. What is the significance of this function?

The Thomae's function is a well-known example of a function that is continuous everywhere but differentiable nowhere. It is often used as a counterexample in calculus and analysis problems, as it challenges the common notion that continuous functions must be differentiable at some points.

3. How is the Thomae's function graphed?

The graph of this function appears as a series of vertical line segments connecting the points (0,0), (1,1), (1/2,1/2), (1/3,1/3), and so on. The gaps between these segments represent the irrational numbers, while the rational points are represented by individual points on the graph.

4. Can this function be modified to make it differentiable at rational points?

No, the Thomae's function is specifically designed to be not differentiable at any rational point. Any modification to make it differentiable at these points would change the nature of the function and its properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Thomae's function?

While the Thomae's function may not have direct real-world applications, its properties and behavior have important implications in mathematics and physics. Its non-differentiability at rational points is used in the field of fractal geometry, and its discontinuity at irrational points can be seen in certain physical phenomena such as the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field.