1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1 mark question on kinematics, or a stone fallin through air.

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone is dropped from the top of a tower of height 40 m. The stone falls from rest and air
    resistance is negligible.
    What time is taken for the stone to fall the last 10m to the ground?

A 0.38s B 1.4s C 2.5s D 2.9s

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I first found the final velocity for the first 30m. V^2= 2x9.8x30 (ignore directions)

then i used that final velocity as my initial velocity in V=u+at where V=0. My answer is C. But its wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Why not find the time to fall 30 m, then the time to fall 40 m, and take the difference?

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3
    How do i find the time t0 fall 40m? Both the final and initial velocity will be zero then won' it.

5. Apr 6, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Find a kinematic equation that expresses the distance as a function of acceleration and time.

6. Apr 6, 2012 #5
    Applying your method V is not = 0.The final speed is just before it hits the ground and you have taken the 'final' speed to be when it hits the ground and stops.
    The velocity you calculated at 30m is u for the last 10m

7. Apr 7, 2012 #6

Thanks, yeah forgot about that. Plugged it in and got .383, close enough. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook