1 mark question on kinematics, or a stone fallin through air.

In summary, the question is asking for the time taken for a stone to fall the last 10m from the top of a 40m tower. The stone falls from rest and air resistance is negligible. The correct answer is C (2.5s) and the method used is to find the final velocity for the first 30m using v^2=2gh and then use that velocity as the initial velocity in V=u+at where V=0. The time to fall 40m can also be found by taking the difference between the time to fall 30m and the time to fall 40m. Another method is to use a kinematic equation that expresses distance as a function of acceleration and time.
mutineer123

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped from the top of a tower of height 40 m. The stone falls from rest and air
resistance is negligible.
What time is taken for the stone to fall the last 10m to the ground?

A 0.38s B 1.4s C 2.5s D 2.9s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the final velocity for the first 30m. V^2= 2x9.8x30 (ignore directions)

then i used that final velocity as my initial velocity in V=u+at where V=0. My answer is C. But its wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not find the time to fall 30 m, then the time to fall 40 m, and take the difference?

gneill said:
Why not find the time to fall 30 m, then the time to fall 40 m, and take the difference?

How do i find the time t0 fall 40m? Both the final and initial velocity will be zero then won' it.

mutineer123 said:
How do i find the time t0 fall 40m? Both the final and initial velocity will be zero then won' it.

Find a kinematic equation that expresses the distance as a function of acceleration and time.

Applying your method V is not = 0.The final speed is just before it hits the ground and you have taken the 'final' speed to be when it hits the ground and stops.
The velocity you calculated at 30m is u for the last 10m

Emilyjoint said:
Applying your method V is not = 0.The final speed is just before it hits the ground and you have taken the 'final' speed to be when it hits the ground and stops.
The velocity you calculated at 30m is u for the last 10m

Thanks, yeah forgot about that. Plugged it in and got .383, close enough. Thank you

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a 1 mark question on kinematics?

A 1 mark question on kinematics is a question that asks for a basic understanding or calculation related to the motion of objects.

3. How do you solve a 1 mark question on kinematics?

To solve a 1 mark question on kinematics, you need to have a good understanding of basic concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, and be able to use equations such as the equations of motion to make calculations.

4. How does a stone fall through air?

A stone falls through air due to the force of gravity acting on it. As the stone falls, it accelerates due to this force until it reaches its terminal velocity, which is when the force of gravity is balanced by air resistance.

5. What factors affect the motion of a falling stone through air?

The motion of a falling stone through air is affected by factors such as its mass, the force of gravity, air resistance, and the height from which it is dropped. Additionally, external factors such as wind and air density can also impact the stone's motion.