100sqft wormhole from sea level to outer space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothetical scenario of air flow through a large vacuum and its potential impact on weather. The main question is how fast the air would flow through a hole in the wall separating the atmospheric pressure from the evacuated volume. There is also mention of a wormhole, but its effects are considered unknowable. It is noted that this scenario would not create a perpetuum mobile.
shintashi
TL;DR Summary
Assuming the difference in pressure of say, 100km up in space, and a portal 10x10, what would the wind speed be near the wormhole/portal?
Hypothetical scenario and I'm trying to understand the velocity of the air as it tries to equalize with a large vacuum. I presume this model isn't very much different from an initial loss of 1 atmosphere pressure in space via some puncture. I'm mainly concerned with the immediate wind speeds and possible influence on weather. The model isn't intended to be sustained for more than 60 seconds so "draining the atmosphere/oceans" isn't what I'm looking for, and statistically, while I don't know what the wind speed might be for a 100 square foot hole (circle or square) I do know the volume of Atmosphere is so high that the total impact of a 60 second hole would be negligible on displacing its whole mass.

Again, I just want I know how fast the air would flow through the hole.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on unknowable physics of your wormhole.

Do you basically want to know what happens if you have a wall separating a very very large volume of air at atmospheric pressure from a very very large evacuated volume, and you open a hole in the wall? That's answerable. The wormhole one isn't, really.

shintashi said:
Summary:: Assuming the difference in pressure of say, 100km up in space, and a portal 10x10, what would the wind speed be near the wormhole/portal?

Again, I just want I know how fast the air would flow through the hole.
It sounds like you are writing a SF story. Is that correct?

shintashi said:
Summary:: Assuming the difference in pressure of say, 100km up in space, and a portal 10x10, what would the wind speed be near the wormhole/portal?
If this is just a very tall tube, the answer is zero.

Likes PeroK
Ibix said:
The wormhole one isn't, really.

Would it be acceptable to say that it doesn't make a perpetuum mobile possible?

DrStupid said:
Would it be acceptable to say that it doesn't make a perpetuum mobile possible?
I wouldn't make any statements at all about an unspecified spacetime. From the point of view of PF rules, one would hope you are right...

Likes russ_watters
Ibix said:
You basically want to know what happens if you have a wall separating a very very large volume of air at atmospheric pressure from a very very large evacuated volume, and you open a hole in the wall? That's answerable.

this.

1. How is it possible for a wormhole to exist at sea level?

According to current theories in physics, a wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel that connects two distant points in space-time. It is believed that wormholes can exist at any point in space, including at sea level.

2. What is the significance of the 100sqft measurement in this wormhole?

The 100sqft measurement refers to the surface area of the wormhole's entrance or exit. This measurement is used to describe the size of the wormhole's mouth, which is believed to be extremely small and compact.

3. Can objects or living beings travel through this wormhole?

Theoretically, yes. It is believed that wormholes can allow for faster-than-light travel and can act as a shortcut through space-time. However, the technology to create and control wormholes does not currently exist, so this is purely hypothetical at this point.

4. How does the wormhole connect to outer space?

The wormhole is believed to connect two distant points in space-time, so one end of the wormhole would be connected to a specific location in outer space. The other end would be connected to a specific location on Earth, such as at sea level.

5. Is it possible for a wormhole to collapse or disappear?

According to current theories, wormholes are not stable and can collapse or disappear due to various factors such as radiation, gravitational pull, and quantum fluctuations. However, the exact behavior of wormholes is still largely unknown and is an area of ongoing research.