1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

15 Year old wishing to self-learn physics and calculus

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    Im currently 15 years old and in grade 9, but I feel as though the math and science program at my school is moving terribly slow for my liking. What are some good physics textbooks for self-tutoring? And most importantly, what are some good calculus textbooks for self-tutoring?
    thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
    khanacademy, get yourself some decent calc and algebra skills there

then;
    Introduction to Linear Algebra with Gilbert Strang on youtube, very good lectures imo
    Leonard Susskinds lectures on physics on youtube, again, very good introduction/overview imo
    Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - M Boas, a very good book on mathematical techniques
    If you want to learn more about the nitty gritty of calulus then try out some Baby Rudin or some Spivak

For physics textbooks, Introduction to Mechanics by Daniel kelppner (or something like that) then, if you feel up to it try some goldstein or some landau and lifgarbagez mechanics

You'll know where to go from there

Good luck!

4. Feb 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks! sounds like a good plan, appreciate the help

5. Feb 22, 2012 #4
    Hey Gravitational, Serway and Jewett's "Physics for scientists and engineers" is a great detailed book. However, you will need a strong calculus foundation. Of course, James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition is a good calculus book. I would suggesting getting a strong base in math before moving onto more advanced physics.

6. Feb 22, 2012 #5
    Hi,

For physics, the book I use at my school is "Conceptual Physics: The High School Physics Program" by Paul G. Hewitt. It's great because it puts most branches of physics into one easy to understand book. The concepts that are taught are

-Classical Mechanics
    -The Properties of Matter
    -Heat & Thermodynamics
    -Sound & Light
    -Electricity & Magnetism
    -Atomic & Nuclear Physics.

It has little mathematics, so it's easy to understand. The concepts that are explained are backed up using images, graphs, etc. to enhance understanding.

If your interested in the Quantum side of things, check out

"The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone" by Kenneth W. Ford.

If you want to increase your mathematical abilities, check out Khanacademy. It has great tutorials for all kinds of Mathematics.

I also suggest you watch the DVD's by NOVA. They talk about the physics of the universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook