Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

18v drill battery to 5v regulator?

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    18v drill battery to 5v regulator??

Hi I have been doing a bit of research but am still a little unsure,
    I am trying to charge an iPhone from a dewalt drill battery,

What I have so far is that the iPhone is a 5v 1000ma supply
    And the dewalt battery is 18v lithium ion

Can I use a 7805 regulator or will I have to use a 7812 regulator first?
    Also what heat sinks etc would I need

Thanks for any help
    Sorry not up on the electronics !! Ha

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It would be much more efficient (the Dewalt battery will last longer, and you won't need heat sinks) if you use a switching DC-DC buck regulator to convert from 12V to 5V. You may be able to find a pre-built one, or there may be simple electronics kits that you could solder together to do this...

4. Jun 12, 2013 #3

berkeman

5. Jun 12, 2013 #4
    This regulates the voltage - USB Charger

Any choice of these is the power supply, ensure it is rated at 7.4v or 2s (3.7*2) - Batteries

These are the proper plugs for the battery(s), "female" are for the batteries - Plugs/adapters

Chargers can be had on the cheap too, most are offered without a power supply themselves - Cheap wall charger good for 3000mah (about a 5 hour charging time)

probably total $40-50 incl shipment to an open trade area for a 3000mah power supply for usb charging....not bad at all. Oh but requires mere guerrilla precision soldering skills.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  6. Jun 13, 2013 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Jun 13, 2013 #6

berkeman

I don't see a datasheet at that page (I may have missed it), so it's not clear how to set the output voltage. I'd stick with a fixed version, like the one I posted. Because cars use 12V batteries, 12V to 5V step-down converters are pretty common.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Jun 13, 2013 #7
    Will this be suitable ?

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/switching-regulators/6664379/

As I am In The uk I have been checking local sites will I need anything else?
    Sorry for the questions
    Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  9. Jun 13, 2013 #8

berkeman

That looks like a reasonable candidate. Check the datasheet to see if you need to add external capacitors --they may be included inside though.

10. Jun 13, 2013 #9
    http://www.tracopower.com/products/tsr1.pdf

According to the data sheet an input capacitor is only needed when input is greater than 32v so hopefully this will be all I need I will order it and let you know how I get on thanks

11. Jun 16, 2013 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook