2 blocks, each on an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves two 2kg blocks connected by a massless cord and pulley, with friction ignored. The goal is to determine the acceleration of each block using free body diagrams. The length of the string is constant, creating a geometric constraint, and the accelerations of the two blocks are equal and opposite. After solving for the tension on the string, the acceleration of one block is found to be 1.79m/s2, but it is important to specify the direction of the acceleration for each block.
RonakPat

Homework Statement

Two 2kg blocks are joined by a massless cord and pulley, ignoring friction, determine each block's acceleration using a free body diagram for each.

Picture for visual aid: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2653/86460048.png
or a link: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2653/86460048.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the free body diagrams and solved for the tension on the string to try to equate the two sides

for the first block i got: T - mgsin30 = ma(1) so T = ma(1) + mgsin30
for the second block i got: mgsin60 - T = ma(2) so T = mgsin60 - ma(2)

The problem is the fact that i have two variables that i am solving for. I can't figure it out

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi RonakPat! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You're missing the obvious …

the length of the string is constant, so a1 + a2 = 0. :wink:

(some people call that a geometric constraint)

tiny-tim said:
Hi RonakPat! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You're missing the obvious …

the length of the string is constant, so a1 + a2 = 0. :wink:

(some people call that a geometric constraint)

So should I still set the two things equal then substitute one of the accelerations(a2) out to find the other(a1) then use what you gave me to find the other(a2)?

Equal and opposite, yes. :smile:

Well i solved it and it came out to be 1.79m/s2. Does it matter which of them has the negative acceleration or do both have equal positive accelerations?

RonakPat said:
Does it matter which of them has the negative acceleration or do both have equal positive accelerations?

hmm … well, you'd better say that one goes upward with acceleration 1.79m/s2, and the other goes downward …

you'll have to make it clear you know which way they're going! :wink: :biggrin:

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is sloped, allowing objects to be moved between different elevations with less force than if they were moved straight up or down.

What is the relationship between force and inclined planes?

Inclined planes reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This is known as mechanical advantage.

How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane can be calculated by dividing the length of the inclined plane by the height of the inclined plane.

What is the purpose of using two blocks on an inclined plane?

The purpose of using two blocks on an inclined plane is to demonstrate the concept of mechanical advantage and how it can reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object.

How can inclined planes be used in everyday life?

Inclined planes are used in many everyday objects, such as ramps for wheelchairs and strollers, escalators, and sloped driveways. They are also used in various machines, such as elevators and cranes, to make lifting heavy objects easier.