2 concept questions on magnetism.

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces on the center magnet when three magnets are released from rest, and the significance of a moving charge in the second problem. The consensus is that the center magnet will accelerate in the direction of the magnetic force until it comes in contact with something that prevents its motion. The significance of a moving charge is that it can feel a magnetic force, but in the second problem, it cannot feel a magnetic force if it is moving in the direction of the magnetic field.
jcpwn2004

Homework Statement

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5296/physicspd2.jpg [Broken]

Homework Equations

none really.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think that the two outside magnets would attach to the middle one and their eventual velocities and accelerations would equal 0 but that seems to easy to me...

4. I think it's yes because magnetic fields exert forces on any moving charge or current that is present in the field. I know the answer is no for this problem though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jcpwn2004 said:

Homework Statement

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5296/physicspd2.jpg [Broken]

1. I think that the two outside magnets would attach to the middle one and their eventual velocities and accelerations would equal 0 but that seems to easy to me...

4. I think it's yes because magnetic fields exert forces on any moving charge or current that is present in the field. I know the answer is no for this problem though...

1. What can one say about the forces on the center magnet?

If all three magnets are released from rest they accelerate in the direction of magnetic force, until they come in contact with something that prevents their motion.

In the second problem, what is the significance of a moving charge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
1. What can one say about the forces on the center magnet?

If all three magnets are released from rest they accelerate in the direction of magnetic force, until they come in contact with something that prevents their motion.

In the second problem, what is the significance of a moving charge?

For #1 aren't the poles of the center magnet attracted to the opposite poles of the outside magnets?

And for #2, does it make sense to say that it's moving in the direction of the magnetic field it can not feel a magnetic force?

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a natural force that causes certain materials, such as iron, to attract or repel each other. It is produced by the motion of electric charges, and is one of the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a region of space that exerts a force on certain materials. This force is strongest at the poles of the magnet, where the magnetic field lines are most concentrated. Opposite poles of two magnets will attract each other, while like poles will repel.

3. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent, temporary, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets are made of materials that hold a magnetic field, such as iron or cobalt. Temporary magnets, like paperclips, can be magnetized by coming into contact with a permanent magnet. Electromagnets are created by wrapping a wire around a metal core and passing an electric current through it, creating a temporary magnetic field.

4. Can magnetic fields be shielded?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded by materials that are highly permeable to magnetic fields, such as iron or steel. These materials can redirect the magnetic field lines, effectively shielding the area behind them from the effects of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include electric motors, generators, speakers, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in many electronic devices, such as hard drives and credit cards.