1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 concept questions on magnetism.

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

none really.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I think that the two outside magnets would attach to the middle one and their eventual velocities and accelerations would equal 0 but that seems to easy to me...

4. I think it's yes because magnetic fields exert forces on any moving charge or current that is present in the field. I know the answer is no for this problem though...
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

1. What can one say about the forces on the center magnet?

If all three magnets are released from rest they accelerate in the direction of magnetic force, until they come in contact with something that prevents their motion.

In the second problem, what is the significance of a moving charge?
  4. Apr 6, 2008 #3
    For #1 aren't the poles of the center magnet attracted to the opposite poles of the outside magnets?

And for #2, does it make sense to say that it's moving in the direction of the magnetic field it can not feel a magnetic force?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?