2-D kinematics challenge problem help please

In summary, the artillery crew fired two shells at different angles, and calculated the time it took for the shells to collide. The two shells had different initial velocities, and the shells collided in midair. The work involved in solving for the time elapsed was shown.
sc8
Homework Statement
Please help with this problem, I am unsure what equations to use.
Relevant Equations
Not sure! Definitely using the angles though. (already found v not x and v not y!)
Hi! I can't solve this. Please someone give me a hint and help? I'm unsure what equation to use. Thank you!🙏🙏🙏

An artillery crew demonstrates its skill by firing a shell at an angle of 49 deg and then lowering the gun barrel and firing a second shell at a smaller angle of 20 deg in such a way that the two shells collide in midair. The initial velocity of the shells is 250 m/s. Find the time elapsed between the two firings. Neglect air resistance.
(Sometimes, the shells actually collide below the level of the gun barrel: that is OK, because the gun is at the edge of a cliff.)

Physics news on Phys.org
sc8 said:
Homework Statement:: Please help with this problem, I am unsure what equations to use.
Relevant Equations:: Not sure! Definitely using the angles though. (already found v not x and v not y!)

Hi! I can't solve this. Please someone give me a hint and help? I'm unsure what equation to use. Thank you!🙏🙏🙏

An artillery crew demonstrates its skill by firing a shell at an angle of 49 deg and then lowering the gun barrel and firing a second shell at a smaller angle of 20 deg in such a way that the two shells collide in midair. The initial velocity of the shells is 250 m/s. Find the time elapsed between the two firings. Neglect air resistance.
(Sometimes, the shells actually collide below the level of the gun barrel: that is OK, because the gun is at the edge of a cliff.)
Please show us the kinematic equations for the vertical and horizongal displacement of a projectile. Then write the two equations for the two different shots with different starting angles and different starting times, and set the two positions equal (the collision point) to solve for the missing time. Can you show us that work?

1. What is the definition of 2-D kinematics?

2-D kinematics refers to the study of motion in two dimensions, typically in the x and y directions. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in a two-dimensional space.

2. What is a challenge problem in 2-D kinematics?

A challenge problem in 2-D kinematics is a complex problem that requires the application of multiple concepts and equations to solve. It often involves real-world scenarios and may require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How do I approach solving a 2-D kinematics challenge problem?

The best approach to solving a 2-D kinematics challenge problem is to first identify and understand the given information, draw a diagram to visualize the problem, and then apply relevant equations and concepts to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving 2-D kinematics challenge problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving 2-D kinematics challenge problems include using incorrect equations, not considering the direction of motion, and not properly converting units. It is also important to double-check calculations and ensure that the final answer makes sense in the given context.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving 2-D kinematics challenge problems?

To improve your skills in solving 2-D kinematics challenge problems, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to review and understand the underlying concepts and equations, and to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.