2-D kinematics/Forces (weight up an incline)

• Thread starter ubbaken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary, if the pushing force is not paralle to the surface, then only the parallel componant of the push will be 546 N.
ubbaken
The Question:
A 123 kg chesterfield is pushed up a frictionless ramp at a constant speed by a delivery person.
If the ramp is inclined at 26.9° to the horizontal, what horizontal force must the delivery person apply to the chesterfield?

http://capa.physics.mcmaster.ca/figures/hr/Graph05/hr-pic0563.png

The way I am thinking about the problem is that the answer should be the horizonal component of the F(g) (weight) of the chesterfield (C). Since balancing that force would produce a net force of 0 in the horizontal dimension.

Drawing it out, the y' of w is wcosθ and x' is wsinθ. So the horizonal component would be (wsinθ)cosθ. The number I get for that is 486.85N (using g=9.81). This is apparently incorrect.

So my question is: How am I supposed to think about this problem? What am I doing wrong? Also, the question seems a little ambiguous also, but how would any of you interpret it?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the magnitude normal force use the following equation:
Fg = Fn cos0 (because the chesterfield is on a tilt)
Fn = Fg/cos0

Then I found the magnitude of the normal force in the X direction. That should be the force of the push.

Stop thinking in terms of x an y axes. Rotate you axes so that they are parallel and perpendicular to the surface. You now have to find the components of weight and the applied force that are "parallel" and "perpendicular."

Note: the normal force will balance all components perpendicular to the
surface. So all that is left are the components of applied force and weight parallel to surface.

Sorry, my x' was 'parallel' to the ramp and y' was perpendicular.

What I have are:
F(normal)=wcosθ and

F(push)=wsinθ=(123kg)(9.81m/s/s)sin(26.9deg)=546N

But that is incorrect...

ubbaken said:
Sorry, my x' was 'parallel' to the ramp and y' was perpendicular.

What I have are:
F(normal)=wcosθ and

F(push)=wsinθ=(123kg)(9.81m/s/s)sin(26.9deg)=546N

But that is incorrect...

Constant velocity implies equilibrium. So, the sum of the three forces, the normal force N (reaction from the ground to the chair), the weight of the chair W and the pushing force F, has to vanish, i.e. [tex]\vec{N}+\vec{W}+\vec{F}=\vec{0}[/tex]. So, what applies to vectors, applies to their components, too. Place a coordinate system and off you go.

ubbaken said:
F(push)=wsin?=(123kg)(9.81m/s/s)sin(26.9deg)=546N
Since the pushing force is not paralle to the surface, then only the parallel componant of the push will be 546 N. What is the full magnitude of the push if this is one of the componants?

Chi Meson said:
Since the pushing force is not paralle to the surface, then only the parallel componant of the push will be 546 N. What is the full magnitude of the push if this is one of the componants?

That was my first post, I believe.

ubbaken said:
That was my first post, I believe.
If 545.9 N is a componant of hte pushing force, then the pushing force itself must be a larger magnitude. Go back and examine what you did with the cos theta.

The answer is 612 N

ah yes, I see now.

I was making some incorrect equalities with my angles.

Thank you for your help.

1. What is 2-D kinematics?

2-D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's movement. It involves using mathematical equations to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. How do you calculate weight up an incline?

The weight up an incline can be calculated using the formula W = mg sinθ, where W is the weight, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field, while mass remains constant.

4. How does an incline affect the force of gravity?

An incline can affect the force of gravity on an object by changing the angle at which the object is pulled towards the Earth. The steeper the incline, the more the force of gravity will act in the direction of the incline, rather than straight down towards the Earth.

5. What is the relationship between displacement and velocity in 2-D kinematics?

In 2-D kinematics, displacement is the change in an object's position over time, while velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement. This means that velocity is the derivative of displacement, or the slope of the displacement-time graph.