2 Finding length of curve problems

In summary, to find the length of a curve, you need to use the arc length formula which involves finding the integral of the square root of the derivative of the curve. For the first problem, the integral is from -2 to x and the integrand is simplified algebraically before finding the antiderivative. For the second problem, there should be a second parametric equation and the formula has a small mistake as it should have a squared term.
Sympathy
1. Find the exact length of the curve analytically by antidifferentiation. You will need to simplify the integrand algebraically before finding an antiderivative.

y = the integral from -2 to x of the SQUARE ROOT (3t^4-1)dt, -2 < x < -1

note that the "<" is actually less than or equal to, don't know how to post that.

For this one, do I just plug the x in? x_x I'm really clueless on how to start

2. Find the length of the curve.

y = the integral of 0 to x of SQUARE ROOT (cos(2t))dt from x = 0 to x = pi/4The problem with me is I know how to do it in terms of y and x, but I am terrible at parametrics.

If you can, please help me with any of the above =) thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heres the arc length formula:

[tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+\frac{dy}{dx}} dx [/tex]. Sub in the requirements, easy enough to get.

Last edited:
O sorry didnt actually read it through well. For the first one,

[tex]\int^{-2}_{x} \sqrt{3t^4 -1} dt [/tex]. If there wasn't an X there, but instead a normal number like you normally see, you would find the integral and then sub in b into it, and - the integral with a subbed in. In this case just sub in X.

For the second one, there should be a second parametric equation >.<

how do you actually type in the integral sign and stuff?

Here's one source:
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/LaTeX/AoPS_L_GuideCommands.php
which will help with formatting the integrals

And another source for starters: (crash course in LaTeX at these forums:
https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and to see specifically how Gib Z did it, click to quote him, and take a look at what he has.

However, the formula has a small mistake in it...
(So, I copied and pasted from the quote so I could change it more simply)
[tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2} dx [/tex].
There's supposed to be a squared in there...

Yes, of course, drpizza's correct...I forget the squared, my bad :p

Btw, rather than actually having to quote me, just click on my latex pictures, that'll show up what I typed to show that code.

1. What is the purpose of finding the length of a curve in mathematics?

Calculating the length of a curve is important in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, geometry, and physics. It allows us to measure and understand the behavior of complex shapes and curves, and is often used in real-world applications such as engineering and architecture.

2. What is the formula for finding the length of a curve?

The most common formula for finding the length of a curve is the arc length formula: L = ∫ab√(1 + (dy/dx)2)dx, where a and b represent the endpoints of the curve and dy/dx is the derivative of the curve's equation.

3. How is finding the length of a curve related to finding the area under a curve?

Finding the length of a curve is closely related to finding the area under a curve. In fact, the arc length formula can be derived from the formula for finding the area under a curve using the concept of Riemann sums. Both calculations involve integrating a function, but the difference lies in the integrand used for each formula.

4. Can the length of a curve be negative?

No, the length of a curve cannot be negative. Length is a physical quantity that represents the distance between two points, and distance is always a positive value. However, the value of the integral used to find the length of a curve can be negative, but this is simply a mathematical result and does not represent the actual length of the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the length of a curve?

Finding the length of a curve has many practical applications, such as measuring the length of a road or a river, calculating the amount of material needed for a curved structure, or determining the amount of wire needed to make a specific shape. It is also used in physics to calculate the distance traveled by a moving object along a curved path.