1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I 2 methods same answer dynamics

1. Mar 24, 2017 #1
    In this dynamics MIT open coarseware they are teaching this method where I sum forces on first mass, sum forces on second mass and then sum of torques = change in angular momentum.

upload_2017-3-24_4-32-20.png

The way I originally learned it was just to look at it and do this :
    MX1''=-KX1 - BX1' + M2G/L*(X2-X1) <--(sin(theta)=X2-X1/L for small angles)
    MX2''=-M2G/L * (X2-X1)
    Why would I want to use the torque/angular momentum equations? Whats the benefit/difference? I am lost and do not see the bridge between what I have been doing and what he is doing.

If interested, simply put this into Youtube search : R7: Cart and Pendulum, Direct Method (don't want to add a link on forum because not sure if there is anti spam or something)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2017 #2
    I would say that this problem is rather for the Lagrange equations with generalized force in the right hand side. The generalized force is due to the damper b

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted