2 methods same answer dynamics

• Thread starter fahraynk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving problems involving masses, forces, and torques. The speaker is questioning the benefit and difference of using torque and angular momentum equations, and suggests using the Lagrange equations with generalized force as a potential solution. They also mention a YouTube video that demonstrates the use of these equations.
fahraynk
In this dynamics MIT open coarseware they are teaching this method where I sum forces on first mass, sum forces on second mass and then sum of torques = change in angular momentum.

upload_2017-3-24_4-32-20.png

The way I originally learned it was just to look at it and do this :
MX1''=-KX1 - BX1' + M2G/L*(X2-X1) <--(sin(theta)=X2-X1/L for small angles)
MX2''=-M2G/L * (X2-X1)
Why would I want to use the torque/angular momentum equations? Whats the benefit/difference? I am lost and do not see the bridge between what I have been doing and what he is doing.

If interested, simply put this into Youtube search : R7: Cart and Pendulum, Direct Method (don't want to add a link on forum because not sure if there is anti spam or something)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that this problem is rather for the Lagrange equations with generalized force in the right hand side. The generalized force is due to the damper b

1. What is the significance of having two methods that produce the same answer in dynamics?

The significance of having two methods that produce the same answer in dynamics is that it provides validation and confirmation of the results. It increases the confidence in the accuracy of the data and allows for more reliable conclusions to be drawn.

2. How do you determine which method is more accurate in "2 methods same answer dynamics"?

The accuracy of a method can be determined by comparing it to a known or accepted standard. If both methods produce the same answer, then they are both considered equally accurate.

3. What factors can lead to discrepancies between the results of the two methods?

There are various factors that can lead to discrepancies between the results of two methods, such as human error, experimental conditions, and limitations of the methods themselves. It is important to carefully consider and control for these factors to ensure accurate and consistent results.

4. How do you account for uncertainty or variability in the results of "2 methods same answer dynamics"?

One way to account for uncertainty or variability in the results is to perform multiple trials and calculate the average or standard deviation of the results. This can give a better understanding of the overall reliability and precision of the methods.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using two methods with the same answer in dynamics?

One potential disadvantage of using two methods with the same answer is that it may be time-consuming and costly to perform both methods. Additionally, if one method is significantly more complex or difficult to perform, it may not be feasible to use in certain situations. It is important to carefully consider the benefits and drawbacks of using multiple methods before deciding to implement them.