Solving a SOI MOSFET Differential Equation for Electron Distribution

• Thread starter Jeppe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation for the electron distribution in a SOI MOSFET structure and the attempt to solve it using different methods. It is suggested to use the theory of Lie for solving differential equations and a substitution is made to simplify the equation. The solution is then obtained by applying boundary conditions and using the theory of Bernouilli differential equations.
Jeppe
Hi all!

I am trying to solve the following differential equation for the electron distribution in a SOI MOSFET structure.

The equation is:

[tex]\frac{d^2n}{dx^2} = \frac{1}{n}\left( \frac{dn}{dx}\right)^2 + A n^{2} [/tex]

A is a constant.

The boundary conditions are:

n(0) = c1 (a constant)
n'(0) = 0

I know that the solution to the equation is:

[tex]n(x) = \frac{c1}{cos^2\left( \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} A \,c1}\,\,\, x \right)}[/tex]

but i can not solve it myself. I have tried with both maple, mathematica, and MATLAB but none of them seems to be able to solve it.

Could anyone give me a hint on how to do it?

Thanks!

Jeppe

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jeppe,

This is not a straightforward differential equation. However I am currently reading and studying the following book:

"Ordinary Differential Equations, an elementary text-book with an introduction
to Lie's theory of the group of one parameter"
written by James Morris Page, it is available on the www for free because it is very old.
It was written in 1897 and no rights are upon it anymore. So available for free.

This book is my first one the theory of Lie for solving diferential equations, some other ones will come afterwards. Now this theory helps in solving your equation. A few months back I would not be able to do it, but now I can help you. I will not go into details on the theory, just take the first step as true, which is the following. Make the substitution:

[edit]I used y for n[/edit]

[tex]u=y \qquad v=y' \qquad w=\frac{dv}{du}=\frac{y''}{y'}[/tex]
the inverse being
[tex]y=u \qquad y'=v \qquad y''=v\frac{dv}{du}[/tex]
After substituting this in the DE you get:
[tex]\frac{dv}{du}-\frac{v}{u}=A\frac{u^2}{v}[/tex]
which is a Bernouilli differential equation and can be solved by substituting:
[tex]z=v^2[/tex]
This gives a linear differential equation:
[tex]\frac{dz}{du}-\frac{2z}{u}=2Au^2[/tex]
Which has the solution:
[tex]v=u\sqrt{2Au-K_1}[/tex]
with K_1 an integration constant.
From this we have:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y\sqrt{2Ay-K_1}[/tex]
giving now after integrating and some algebra:
[tex]y=\frac{K_1}{2A}\frac{1}{cos^2 \left(\frac{\sqrt{K_1}}{2}x+K_2\right)}[/tex]
Applying the boundary conditions gives for the second one
[tex]K_2=0[/tex]
and thus
[tex]y=\frac{K_1}{2A}\frac{1}{cos^2\left(\frac{\sqrt{K_1}}{2}x\right)}[/tex]
The first one gives:
[tex]K_1=2Ac_1[/tex]
and using this gives your solution:
[tex]y=\frac{c_1}{cos^2\left(\sqrt{\frac{Ac_1}{2}}x\right)}[/tex]

coomast

Thanks a lot coomast! That really helped!

Related to Solving a SOI MOSFET Differential Equation for Electron Distribution

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function. This type of equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion or behavior of a system over time.

2. How is a 2nd order differential equation different from a 1st order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation involves the second derivative of a function, while a 1st order differential equation only involves the first derivative. This means that a 2nd order differential equation provides more information about the behavior of a system.

3. What are some real-world applications of 2nd order differential equations?

2nd order differential equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze systems that involve motion, growth, or decay. Examples include the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, and the decay of radioactive substances.

4. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

The general method for solving a 2nd order differential equation involves finding a particular solution and a complementary solution, and then combining them to form the general solution. This process may involve using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or power series.

5. Are there any common techniques for solving 2nd order differential equations?

Yes, there are several common techniques for solving 2nd order differential equations, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The specific technique used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.