2 people pulling on ropes or cables with a third person trying to equal out

• Thread starter SherBear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cables
In summary, the question posed is to find the magnitude and direction of the force needed for the boss, Olive, to apply in order to achieve equilibrium in a system where three people named Wesson, Canola, and Olive are pulling on a string/rope with forces of 300N at 30°, 200N at 30°, and 250N at 60° respectively. Using the sum of the forces in the x-direction and Pythagorean's theorem, the magnitude of the force needed is calculated to be 52.17N. The direction is determined to be 0 degrees. However, upon further clarification, the correct direction is found to be 6.58 degrees above the positive x-axis or
SherBear

Homework Statement

We have a person pulling on a string or rope in the negative y negative x quadrant (call it left) this person is called Wesson, they have a force of 300N at 30°

Same situation but pulling the other way, positive y and positive x quadrant (call it right), this person is called Canola, they have a force of 200N at 30°

The third person pulling is the boss called Olive, they have a force of 250N at 60°

What I'm seeking is this: What is the magnitude and direction of the force the boss needs to apply to make the system at equilibrium?

Homework Equations

First make a FBD then..

I have the sum of Fx = -tw + tc + to = 0

Pithagoram's theory

arc tan...Tan-1 (Fy/Fx)

The Attempt at a Solution

from the sum of Fx I have = -300N sin 30° + 200N sin 30° + 250N sin 60°

-150 + 100 + 216.50=

Fx=166.5

To get the magnitude I'm using pithagorm's theorm

so I have sqrt 166.5^2 + 0 (because the sum in the y dir is zero)

magnitue= 52.17N

To get the direction I have

Tan -1 (0 / 166.5N) = 0 N = Direction

Am I on the money or way off base?

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a person pulling on a string or rope in the negative y negative x quadrant---**Sorry about that, to be left, I meant positive y and negative x quadrant =-)**

For this one I have
wesson= -300cos30 ihat + 300sin30 jhat=-259.80 ihat + 150 j hat
canola= 200 cos 30 ihat + 200 sin 30 jhat= 173.20 i hat + 100 j hat
then add..........= 433 i hat - 50 j hat

magnitude= sqrt 433 ihat ^2 + -50 jhat ^2=

435.87N=magnitude

Direction= Tan-1 50jhat / 433 i hat=
Direction=6.58 degrees above the positive x-axis or north of the positive x axis

is this right?

1. How does the third person equal out the force when two people are pulling on ropes or cables?

The third person can use their body weight and position to distribute their force between the two ropes or cables, effectively creating a balanced tension.

2. What happens if one person is pulling with more force than the other?

If one person is pulling with more force, the third person can adjust their position to increase or decrease their force on each rope or cable to create a balanced tension.

3. Can the third person control the amount of force they apply to each rope or cable?

Yes, the third person can control the amount of force they apply by adjusting their body position and weight distribution on each rope or cable.

4. How does the third person ensure that the forces are equalized between the two ropes or cables?

The third person can use their strength and balance to adjust their force on each rope or cable until they feel equal tension on both sides.

5. Is there a specific technique for the third person to equalize the force between two people pulling on ropes or cables?

There are different techniques that the third person can use, such as adjusting their stance, distributing their weight, or using their arms and legs to apply force on each rope or cable. It may take some trial and error to find the most effective technique for equalizing the force.