1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 suspended balls with charge q. find q

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two Styrofoam balls with the same mass m = 7E-8 kg and the same positive charge q are suspended from the same point by insulating threads of length L = 0.92 m. The separation of the balls is d = 0.024 m. What is the charge q?

I am unable to add a graphic at this time. But i understand this is a common electrophysics problem, i think the problem describes it pretty well.

2. Relevant equations

F = (k*q1*q2)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

One thing I will do first is find the value "h", the vertical distance between 1/2d and the ceiling (essentially completing the triangle)

Well I wasn't exactly sure where to start, and that may be part of the problem, so here is the thought process, I hope you can follow.

I know Fnet = 0 Fy = 0 Fx = 0

I know to get q i need to find F from each charge.

(note: FTy represents the Tension Force from the string in the y direction.)

So Fy = -mg + FTy = 0 so mg = FTy

How do find FTy? I understand it is a component of FT. would it be FTy = FT x (h/L) ??

So Fy = -mg + FT x (h/L) and from this i could get FT???? is that correct?

If this is correct, I can also find FTx.

FTx = FT x (1/2d)/L

And Fx should = (FT x (1/2d)/L) - (k*q1*q2)/d^2

Since Fx = 0 i can set the above equation to 0 and solve for q??

This is what I tried to do anyways, does this make sense?

Any input is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your approach is correct.
    FTy = mg..............(1)
    FTx = k*q1*q2/d^2......(2)
    Substitute the values of FTx and FTy, then divide eq.(1) by eq.(2). From that you get the value of q.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook