2 suspended balls with charge q. find q

In summary, the problem involves two Styrofoam balls with the same mass and positive charge suspended by insulating threads. The question is to find the value of the charge q using the equation F = (k*q1*q2)/r^2 and the given values of the separation and thread length. The approach involves setting the net force and forces in the x and y directions to zero, and then solving for q using equations (1) and (2).
Kastner86

Homework Statement

Two Styrofoam balls with the same mass m = 7E-8 kg and the same positive charge q are suspended from the same point by insulating threads of length L = 0.92 m. The separation of the balls is d = 0.024 m. What is the charge q?

I am unable to add a graphic at this time. But i understand this is a common electrophysics problem, i think the problem describes it pretty well.

Homework Equations

F = (k*q1*q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

One thing I will do first is find the value "h", the vertical distance between 1/2d and the ceiling (essentially completing the triangle)

Well I wasn't exactly sure where to start, and that may be part of the problem, so here is the thought process, I hope you can follow.

I know Fnet = 0 Fy = 0 Fx = 0

I know to get q i need to find F from each charge.

(note: FTy represents the Tension Force from the string in the y direction.)

So Fy = -mg + FTy = 0 so mg = FTy

How do find FTy? I understand it is a component of FT. would it be FTy = FT x (h/L) ??

So Fy = -mg + FT x (h/L) and from this i could get FT? is that correct?

If this is correct, I can also find FTx.

FTx = FT x (1/2d)/L

And Fx should = (FT x (1/2d)/L) - (k*q1*q2)/d^2

Since Fx = 0 i can set the above equation to 0 and solve for q??

This is what I tried to do anyways, does this make sense?

Any input is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct.
FTy = mg.....(1)
FTx = k*q1*q2/d^2...(2)
Substitute the values of FTx and FTy, then divide eq.(1) by eq.(2). From that you get the value of q.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and variables involved. The given information includes the mass of the balls, the length and separation of the strings, and the force of gravity acting on the balls. The relevant equation for this situation is the Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. We can express this mathematically as F = (k*q1*q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

To find the charge q, we can use the fact that the net force on the balls is zero, since they are suspended in equilibrium. This means that the force from the strings must be equal and opposite to the force from the charges. Using this information, we can set up the following equations:

Fy = -mg + FTy = 0 (since Fy = 0)

Fx = (FTx + Fdx) - (k*q1*q2)/d^2 = 0 (since Fx = 0)

where FTy and FTx are the tension forces in the y and x directions, respectively, and Fdx is the force of gravity in the x direction.

We can solve for FTy and FTx using trigonometry, as you have suggested. FTy = FT x (h/L) and FTx = FT x (1/2d)/L. Substituting these values into the equations above, we can solve for Fdx and then for q.

Finally, it is important to note that the value of q will depend on the value of k, which is a constant in the Coulomb's Law equation. Therefore, you will need to know the value of k in order to find the exact value of q. I hope this explanation helps you to better understand the problem and how to approach it.

1. What are "2 suspended balls with charge q"?

2 suspended balls with charge q refers to a common physics experiment in which two small, lightweight balls are suspended from a fixed point and charged with the same amount of charge, q. This experiment is often used to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics.

2. How are the balls charged with the same amount of charge?

The balls are usually charged by rubbing them with a material such as wool or fur, which transfers electrons from one material to the other. This causes one ball to become positively charged and the other to become negatively charged, with the same amount of charge, q.

3. What does q represent in this experiment?

In this experiment, q represents the amount of charge on each ball. It is a variable that can be measured in units of coulombs (C) using an electrostatic balance or other measuring tool.

4. How does the distance between the two balls affect the amount of charge, q?

According to Coulomb's Law, the amount of force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two balls increases, the amount of charge, q, will decrease.

5. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment helps to illustrate the principles of electrostatics, including the behavior of charged objects and the relationship between charge and distance. It also has practical applications in understanding the behavior of materials in electrical fields and in measuring and manipulating small amounts of charge.