1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

∫[(2)/(x-3)(√(x+10))]dx U-Substitution → du/dx or dx/du, & why?

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    ∫[(2)/(x-3)(√(x+10))]dx U-Substitution → du/dx or dx/du, & why???

Okay, here I solve [itex]\int\frac{2}{(x+3)\sqrt{x+10}}dx[/itex] in two ways.

The problem I'm having however is during the U substitution. The first method, I take [itex]\frac{du}{dx}= [/itex] (function in terms of x)

For the second method, I set substituted terms in terms of u and then take [itex]\frac{dx}{du}= [/itex]function in terms of u)

So if I have indeed yielded the correct integral function using both methods, my question is is then based on my professor's suggestion that we use the second method for integrating various functions - particularly of this type with roots.

My question is, after choosing the terms to substitute for U, how do I look at a function to determine whether to set substituted terms into terms of x or u? In other words, how do I look at a function and determine whether to use the first method du/dx or second method dx/du?

Method 1:

[itex]\int\frac{2}{(x+3)\sqrt{x+10}}dx[/itex]

U substitution: Setting u equal to x terms, then du/dv

let [itex]u=\sqrt{x+10}[/itex] then du/dv

[itex]\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}(x+10)^{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{2}{2}}(x+10)'[/itex]

[itex]du=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x+10}}dx[/itex] → [itex]dx=2\sqrt{x+10}du[/itex]

Then replace those substitutions into the integral and simplify what I can:

[itex]\int\frac{(2)(2)\sqrt{x+10}du}{(x+3)\sqrt{x+10}}[/itex] → [itex]4\int\frac{du}{(x+3)}[/itex]

Then realize I still have an x term and figure out a way to arrange the previous substitutions to eliminate the remaining x term

[itex][u^{2}-10=x][/itex] → [itex][u^{2}-10+3=x+3][/itex] → [itex][u^{2}-7=x+3][/itex]

[itex]4\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-7}du[/itex] .....And then partial fractions from here

[itex]4\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-7}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{A}{u+\sqrt{7}}+\frac{B}{u-\sqrt{7}}[/itex] becomes

[itex]4[\frac{1}{2\sqrt7}ln|\sqrt{x+10}+\sqrt{7}|-\frac{1}{2\sqrt7}ln|\sqrt{x+10}+\sqrt{7}|]+C[/itex]

Method 2:

[itex]\int\frac{2}{(x+3)\sqrt{x+10}}dx[/itex]

let [itex]u=\sqrt{x+10}[/itex] set in terms of u

[itex]x=u^{2}-10[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dx}{du}=2u[/itex]

[itex]dx=2udu[/itex]

[itex]\int\frac{(2)(2u)du}{u^{2}-10-3u}[/itex]

[itex]4\int\frac{u}{(u-5)(u+2)}du[/itex] And then partial fractions...

[itex]4\int\frac{A}{(u-5)}+\frac{B}{(u+2)}du[/itex]

........Solving for A and B and integrating →

[itex]4[(\frac{5}{7}ln|\sqrt{x+10}-5|)+(\frac{2}{7}ln|\sqrt{x+10}+2|)]+C[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi LearninDaMath! :smile:

I'm not sure I see any difference.

As a general principle, you should certainly get rid of all x's as soon as possible!
    shouldn't this be [itex]\int\frac{(2)(2u)du}{(u^{2}-10+3)u}[/itex] ? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook