2 Zeners versus 1 zener- inconsistent with actual theory?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wushumaster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
wushumaster
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
So when I have two zeners connected, I should get less voltage than if I had one, but this is NOT the case! Why?
I don't understand- two zeners of say 1000 V each- say we have a power source than provides 2500 volts- then we should get only 500 V. With one of these zeners, we should get 1500 V. But it's almost reversed, and I don't get why..
Thanks!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
wushumaster,

You should probably include some details like how the zeners are connected. Next you should explain why on Earth you are attempting to use zeners with a 2500V supply. You should probably include some details about your supply voltage, at the very least confirm that it is a DC supply.

Fish
 
wushumaster said:
So when I have two zeners connected, I should get less voltage than if I had one, but this is NOT the case! Why?
I don't understand- two zeners of say 1000 V each- say we have a power source than provides 2500 volts- then we should get only 500 V. With one of these zeners, we should get 1500 V. But it's almost reversed, and I don't get why..
Thanks!

When you connect two zeners in series, the overall voltage drop is the sum of the two zener voltages.

When you connect two equal-value zener diodes in parallel and drive them with a current source, the voltage drop is slightly less than when you have just the one zener diode. That is because the two parallel zener diodes are splitting the available current, so each diode voltage is a little less since it's running at a lower current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode

.
 
Last edited: