2008 Fnet=ma Exam: Bullet and Bob

In summary, the bullet has kinetic energy equal to the difference in potential energy at the top and bottom of the loop, plus this additional kinetic energy. The minimum velocity at which the bullet completes a circular vertical loop is v_0 = \frac{m_1+m_2}{m_1+m_2} \sqrt{5gL}.
compwiz3000
A bullet of mass [tex]m_1[/tex] strikes a pendulum of mass [tex]m_2[/tex] suspended from a pivot by a string of length [tex]L[/tex] with a horizontal velocity [tex]v_0[/tex]. The collision is perfectly inelastic and the bullet sticks to the bob. Find the minimum velocity [tex]v_0[/tex] such that the bob (with the bullet inside) completes a circular vertical loop.

What did I do wrong:
Using conservation of momentum, we have
[tex]m_1 v_0 = \left(m_1+m_2\right) v_n.[/tex]
Then
[tex]v_n=\frac{m_1 v_0}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]
and
[tex]0=v_n^2+2a dx.[/tex]
Then
[tex]v_n^2=-2 \int_0^\pi -g \sin \theta L d \theta?[/tex]
I think that's where I screwed up?
If I follow my wrong steps, I end up with
[tex]v_0=\left(m_1+m_2\right)2 \sqrt{Lg}/m_1,[/tex]
but that's not the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems to be a bit of a trick question. The string is not rigid; it cannot provide an outward force at the top, so at the top of the loop the pendulum better have enough speed to not fall down. Your solution is correct if the string was replaced by a rigid rod.

For brevity I'll write M = m1 + m2. The speed required at the top of the loop is that for uniform circular motion with acceleration g: [tex]v_{top}^2/L = g[/tex], so at this point its kinetic energy is [tex]M v_{top}^2/2 = MgL/2[/tex]. At the minimum initial speed, the kinetic energy the pendulum and bullet have must equal the difference in potential energy at the top and bottom, plus this kinetic energy:

[tex]\frac12 M v_n^2 = 2MgL + \frac12 MgL = \frac52 MgL[/tex]
[tex]v_n = \sqrt{5gL}[/tex]
[tex]v_0 = \frac{M}{m_1} v_n = \frac{m_1 + m_2}{m_1} \sqrt{5gL}.[/tex]

Thanks.

Also, in my original solution, I wasn't sure if it was correct to say
[tex]v_n^2+2a\, dx = 0[/tex]
Can I just put that [tex]dx[/tex] in there? I kind of just guessed that I could do that.
Can somebody more rigorously do my solution for a rigid rod?

Also, can you elaborate on this?
"At the minimum initial speed, the kinetic energy the pendulum and bullet have must equal the difference in potential energy at the top and bottom, plus this kinetic energy"
I didn't understand what you were referring to in the equations.

EDIT:Wait, [tex]2MgL[/tex] is just potential energy right?

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, 2MgL is the change in potential energy and MgL/2 is the kinetic energy the thing must have at the top.

As for your initial question, what is a?

For the rigid rod, you can drop the MgL/2 term in the energy equation, and your original answer will be correct:
[tex]v_0 = 2 \frac{m_1 + m_2}{m_1} \sqrt{gL}.[/tex]

Last edited:
So is my calculus way rigorous or correct? I tried to use [tex]v_f^2=v_0^2+2ax[/tex] in my first attempt...is that wrong?

And for the rigid rod, I can drop the term because I can just have almost 0 kinetic energy at the top, right?

Yeah, that won't work since your acceleration isn't constant. It's really easy if you just use energy; that way you don't have to deal with possibly incorrect integrals and all that. You're correct about the 0 kinetic energy.

Thanks for the energy solution. I do prefer that solution. I just didn't think of how to do it that way.

Could you also show me a way to do it with integration?

1. What is the "2008 Fnet=ma Exam: Bullet and Bob"?

The "2008 Fnet=ma Exam: Bullet and Bob" is an exam question from the American Association of Physics Teachers' Fnet=ma Exam, which is a physics competition for high school students in the United States. This specific question involves analyzing the motion of a bullet and a block of wood, known as Bob, after the bullet has been fired into the block.

2. What is the purpose of this exam question?

The purpose of this exam question is to test students' understanding of concepts related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the law of conservation of momentum and the equation Fnet=ma. It also requires students to apply their knowledge of kinematics and energy to solve the problem.

3. How difficult is this exam question compared to others on the Fnet=ma Exam?

The difficulty of this exam question is subjective and can vary for different students. However, it is generally considered to be one of the more challenging questions on the Fnet=ma Exam due to its complexity and the need for students to integrate multiple concepts to solve it.

4. What are some key concepts that students should understand in order to solve this exam question?

Students should have a solid understanding of Newton's laws of motion, conservation of momentum, and the equation Fnet=ma. They should also be familiar with kinematics and energy concepts, such as velocity, acceleration, and work. Additionally, knowledge of vectors and basic trigonometry may be helpful in solving this problem.

5. Is this exam question relevant to real-world situations?

Yes, this exam question is relevant to real-world situations as it involves the principles of physics that govern the motion of objects. Understanding these concepts and being able to apply them can help in solving real-world problems, such as analyzing the trajectory of a bullet or predicting the movement of objects in collisions.