2D kinematics -- Calculate the acceleration of the jumping athlete

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
Stewkatt
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Homework Statement
An athlete with a mass of 62 kg jumps and lands on his feet. The ground exerts a total force of 1.1 x 10^3 N [backward 55 degrees up] on his feet. Calculate the acceleration of the athlete
Relevant Equations
F=delta p/delta t =ma
DCD301E4-C8E1-43CD-A362-D64E05F31F14.jpeg

this is my work but the answers say 11 m/s^2 so I made an error somewhere. Also if someone could help me with solving the direction for the acceleration, that would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps because you have omitted the "backward 55 degrees up" direction of the reactive force.
 
image.jpg

yay, I figured it out. I still have to find the direction of acceleration and that’s it.
 
Stewkatt said:
yay, I figured it out. I still have to find the direction of acceleration and that’s it.
Did you find the direction of acceleration?