2D kinematics - Solved, but a question on the logic

In summary, the distance y can be calculated using the equation y = (Vsin45)(t) + .5(-g)(t)^2, where V is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, this equation only works if the initial y position is taken as 0 and the final y position is taken as the peak height, which is not the case in this scenario. Instead, the correct way to use this equation is to consider the peak height as the initial y position and the basket height as the final y position, resulting in a negative value for y. This error can also be avoided by using conservation of energy to calculate the final y position.
Greyt
The problem: (Note: the correct answer is bolded throughout)

A basketball is launched with an initial speed of 8 m/s at a 45 degree angle from the horizontal. The ball enters the basket in 0.96 seconds. What is the distance x and y?

Just ignore the distance x, I know it's simply the product of the time and horizontal velocity.

The distance y is obtained using the equation:

y = (Vsin45)(t) + .5(-g)(t)^2
y = 0.91m

The above is the correct answer and how to obtain it--no quarrels there. My issue is why this method does not work:

Here are my variables:

t = Total time the ball is in the air
Tp = The time for the ball to reach its peak height
Tf = The time the ball is in free fall

Tp = (Vsin45) / (g)
Tp = (8sin45) / (9.8)
Tp = 0.57723s

Tf = t - Tp
Tf = 0.96 - 0.57723
Tf = 0.38277s

y = .5(g)(t^2)
y = .5(9.8)(0.38277^2)
y = 0.72m

The logic makes sense to me, since the ball takes .58 seconds to reach its peak height and obtain a velocity of 0 m/s. It should also then be in free fall for the remaining time (t-Tp) of 0.38s. I also thought that using the equation for displacement would be appropriate since only the acceleration due to gravity is present in the y direction. It is wrong however.

If it helps, I'll also mention this problem was correctly solved using conservation of energy (0.91m), where the V in the final kinetic energy is obtained by using V horizontal, g, and the obtained Tf--so I know everything up until the displacement equation is correct.

Could anyone enlighten me as to why I cannot use the displacement equation as I did?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what that y you computed as 0.72 actually represents.

Greyt said:
The problem: (Note: the correct answer is bolded throughout)

A basketball is launched with an initial speed of 8 m/s at a 45 degree angle from the horizontal. The ball enters the basket in 0.96 seconds. What is the distance x and y?

Just ignore the distance x, I know it's simply the product of the time and horizontal velocity.

The distance y is obtained using the equation:

y = (Vsin45)(t) + .5(-g)(t)^2
y = 0.91m

The above is the correct answer and how to obtain it--no quarrels there. My issue is why this method does not work:

Here are my variables:

t = Total time the ball is in the air
Tp = The time for the ball to reach its peak height
Tf = The time the ball is in free fall

Tp = (Vsin45) / (g)
Tp = (8sin45) / (9.8)
Tp = 0.57723s

Tf = t - Tp
Tf = 0.96 - 0.57723
Tf = 0.38277s

y = .5(g)(t^2)
y = .5(9.8)(0.38277^2)
y = 0.72m

The logic makes sense to me, since the ball takes .58 seconds to reach its peak height and obtain a velocity of 0 m/s. It should also then be in free fall for the remaining time (t-Tp) of 0.38s. I also thought that using the equation for displacement would be appropriate since only the acceleration due to gravity is present in the y direction. It is wrong however.

If it helps, I'll also mention this problem was correctly solved using conservation of energy (0.91m), where the V in the final kinetic energy is obtained by using V horizontal, g, and the obtained Tf--so I know everything up until the displacement equation is correct.

Could anyone enlighten me as to why I cannot use the displacement equation as I did?
The value you get for y, 0.72m is the y value from the ball's peak height to the basket height. It should actually be -0.72m.

What is the height gained by the ball in its first 0.57723 of flight?

Ah, I completely neglected the fact it was traveling down from its peak and so the y represents how far the basket is from the top of its height.

Thanks to you both! (I feel silly for ignoring that negative sign for gravity now)

I can understand your confusion about why the displacement equation did not work in this scenario. However, the displacement equation you used, y = .5(g)(t^2), assumes that the initial velocity is 0 m/s. In this problem, the initial velocity is 8 m/s at a 45 degree angle, which means that the ball already has a vertical component of velocity when it starts its journey. This initial vertical velocity must be taken into account when calculating the displacement.

The equation y = (Vsin45)(t) + .5(-g)(t)^2 takes into account both the initial vertical velocity (Vsin45) and the acceleration due to gravity (-g) to accurately calculate the displacement. This equation is derived from the kinematic equations, which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time to calculate displacement.

In summary, the displacement equation you used only works when the initial velocity is 0 m/s. In this problem, the initial velocity is not 0 m/s, so it cannot be used to accurately calculate the displacement. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the issue.

1. What is 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, typically using mathematical equations and graphical representations. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects moving in two-dimensional space.

2. What are the key principles of 2D kinematics?

The key principles of 2D kinematics include the use of vectors to represent motion in two dimensions, the application of Newton's laws of motion, and the use of equations such as the kinematic equations to solve for unknown quantities.

3. How is 2D kinematics different from 1D kinematics?

In 1D kinematics, motion is only analyzed in one dimension (usually along a straight line), while in 2D kinematics, motion is analyzed in two dimensions (such as up/down and left/right). This requires the use of vector quantities and a more complex analysis of motion.

4. What are some real-life applications of 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports. Some real-life applications include analyzing the motion of projectiles, calculating the trajectory of a moving object, and studying the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.

5. How can I solve problems involving 2D kinematics?

To solve problems involving 2D kinematics, it is important to first identify the known and unknown quantities, draw a clear and accurate diagram, and choose the appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns. It is also helpful to break the motion into separate components and use trigonometry to solve for angles and vector components.