1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Projectile Motion, kicking football

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    Kicking a football 36m from the goal, which is 3.05m high. The ball leaves the ground with a speed of 20m/s at an angle of 53 degrees to the horizontal. By how much does the ball clear or fall short of clearing the crossbar?

delta y = v0cos(theta)delta t

The thing is, I don't know delta t, and the equation for delta t I have is delta t = delta x/ v0cos(theta), but the only way of knowing delta x also requires delta t...

Can someone please walk me through the problem? (I can do the math myself but just what equations to use and such.) thanks a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2
    To find delta t, use the equation:
    v= (initial velocity) + a(t)

v= 0 at its maximum point
    you know the initial vertical velocity (vo sin(theta)
    and you know the accl due to gravity.
    then multiply t by 2, since it is symmetric, to get the total time.

Sorry, I don't know how to do all the symbols and such.
  4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
    TY for your reply.

I tried finding the time that way, but I ended up getting horribly negative numbers.

I then tried finding delta t by equaling it to delta x/ v0cos(theta), where delta x = 36 and ended up getting t = 2.99s

I used that in the delta y equation of delta y = v0sin(theta)delta t - (.5)(g)(delta t)2 and was able to solve it from there.

This thread is solved but i'm not sure how to notate it as such...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?