2D Vector Kinematics Problem (projectile)

In summary, the ball's vertical velocity is 5.4167 m/s when it is kicked off the ground and it reaches a final height of 6.5 m after 1.2 s.
j3llzang

Homework Statement

A person kicks a ball h of 2.0 m above the floor. If the ball flies at some angle and lands 1.2 s later at horiz d of 6.5 m from its orig. place, calc. the orig. horiz and vert. comp.s of the ball's v.
Calc. the final components of the ball's v.
(Assume the ball has no horiz. accel.)

Homework Equations

v = vo + at
v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad
d = vot + 1/2 (at^2)
g = -9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Although I am given the time, I cannot divide time into 2 for getting the time it takes to reach the highest point (since it has to come down the 2.0m height)
I found out vx (which is constant throughout) = (6.5m / 1.2s) = 5.4167 m/s
But I am stuck.
Any idea? (or is there not enough info given in the question?)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
to find the vertical component, simply use the second equation of motion (just write down the equation and you will realize that you have enough info). Don't worry about the going up and coming down issue, the equation takes care of it :-)

Sourabh N said:
to find the vertical component, simply use the second equation of motion (just write down the equation and you will realize that you have enough info). Don't worry about the going up and coming down issue, the equation takes care of it :-)

You mean v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad?
or
d=vot + 1/2 (at^2)

Even if I were to use either one, I can't solve vf or vo for vertical, since I do not have dy (it would be bigger than 2.0m, because it moves up first)
I am also not given the vo...
thanks for the quick reply, though :)

Yes the second equation you wrote is the one useful here.

And remember, d is the vertical "displacement", not distance. So whatever way the ball moved (up or down), it's the final position that matters.

Imagine I throws a projectile from ground. After it comes back to ground doing the parabolic motion, it's vertical displacement is.. ZERO!

Sourabh N said:
Yes the second equation you wrote is the one useful here.

And remember, d is the vertical "displacement", not distance. So whatever way the ball moved (up or down), it's the final position that matters.

Imagine I throws a projectile from ground. After it comes back to ground doing the parabolic motion, it's vertical displacement is.. ZERO!

Ahh,, I see your point! :)
However, there's still a problem of finding voy or vfy...
I can't put any of these two as zero, since there is the initial "kick" to the ball, which means at the bottom of its parabolic shape (above the 2.0m height), its v is not going to be zero...
Any idea? :P

I"m not sure what you mean (which is probably my fault), so I'll assume what I think is what you mean and answer.

The second equation you wrote in Post #3, should give you initial vertical velocity component (since you know d, t and g). Then the first equation in same post should give you final vertical velocity component (since you know everything else).

Oh, and you know the final horizontal velocity already!

Last edited:
aha! I misinterpreted your reply.
I got it all figured out now. Thanks a lot ;)

1. What is a 2D vector kinematics problem (projectile)?

A 2D vector kinematics problem, also known as a projectile problem, involves studying the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air, such as a ball or a projectile. It considers both the horizontal and vertical components of the object's motion and the interaction between them.

2. What are the key equations used in solving a 2D vector kinematics problem?

The key equations used in solving a 2D vector kinematics problem are the equations of motion, including the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the horizontal and vertical directions. Other important equations include the equations for projectile motion, such as the range equation and the maximum height equation.

3. How do you approach solving a 2D vector kinematics problem?

To solve a 2D vector kinematics problem, you need to first break down the problem into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, use the given information, such as initial velocity and angle of launch, to solve for the unknown variables using the appropriate equations. It is also important to carefully consider the direction and sign of the variables to ensure accurate solutions.

4. What are some common misconceptions about solving 2D vector kinematics problems?

One common misconception is that the horizontal and vertical components of motion are independent of each other. In reality, these components are interconnected and affect each other through the acceleration due to gravity. Another misconception is that the initial horizontal velocity is always zero, when in fact it can be any value depending on the launch angle.

5. How can 2D vector kinematics problems be applied in real-life situations?

2D vector kinematics problems have many real-life applications, such as in sports like basketball and baseball, where players need to calculate the trajectory of the ball to make accurate shots. They are also used in engineering and physics to study the motion of projectiles, such as rockets and satellites. Additionally, understanding 2D vector kinematics can help in predicting the path of moving objects, such as cars on a curved road or airplanes in flight.