2nd derivative change of variables

In summary, the difference between the two equations is that the first uses the chain rule, while the second uses the equation for change of variables.
BrokenPhysics
Let's say ##f(x)=ax^2##. Then ##d^2f/dx^2=2a##.

Now we can make the change of variables ##y\equiv\sqrt ax## to give ##f(y)=y^2##. Then ##d^2f/dy^2=2##.

It follows that
##\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}=a\frac{d^2f}{dy^2},##
but I can't replicate this with the chain rule.

I would put
##\frac{df}{dy}=\frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dy}=\frac1{\sqrt a}\frac{df}{dx}##
##\frac{d^2f}{dy^2}=\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}\frac{dx}{dy}+\frac{df}{dx}\underbrace{\frac{d^2x}{dy^2}}_0=\frac1{\sqrt a}\frac{d^2f}{dx^2},##

which is a factor of ##1/\sqrt a## different from what we know the answer should be. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
BrokenPhysics said:
Let's say ##f(x)=ax^2##. Then ##d^2f/dx^2=2a##.

Now we can make the change of variables ##y\equiv\sqrt ax## to give ##f(y)=y^2##. Then ##d^2f/dy^2=2##.

It follows that
##\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}=a\frac{d^2f}{dy^2},##
but I can't replicate this with the chain rule.

I would put
##\frac{df}{dy}=\frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dy}=\frac1{\sqrt a}\frac{df}{dx}##
##\frac{d^2f}{dy^2}=\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}\frac{dx}{dy}+\frac{df}{dx}\underbrace{\frac{d^2x}{dy^2}}_0=\frac1{\sqrt a}\frac{d^2f}{dx^2},##

which is a factor of ##1/\sqrt a## different from what we know the answer should be. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
This step is wrong:
##\frac{d^2f}{dy^2}=\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}\frac{dx}{dy}+\frac{df}{dx}\frac{d^2x}{dy^2}##
By the chain rule, it should be:
##\displaystyle \frac{d^2f}{dy^2}=\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{df}{dy})\frac{dx}{dy}=\frac{d}{dx}(\frac1{\sqrt a}\frac{df}{dx})\frac{dx}{dy}=\frac1{\sqrt a}\frac{d²f}{dx²}\frac1{\sqrt a}=\frac1{ a}\frac{d²f}{dx²}##

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
This step is wrong:
##\frac{d^2f}{dy^2}=\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}\frac{dx}{dy}+\frac{df}{dx}\frac{d^2x}{dy^2}##
By the chain rule, it should be:
##\displaystyle \frac{d^2f}{dy^2}=\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{df}{dy})\frac{dx}{dy}=\frac{d}{dx}(\frac1{\sqrt a}\frac{df}{dx})\frac{dx}{dy}=\frac1{\sqrt a}\frac{d²f}{dx²}\frac1{\sqrt a}=\frac1{ a}\frac{d²f}{dx²}##

That makes sense. Thanks a lot!

1. What is the concept of 2nd derivative change of variables?

The 2nd derivative change of variables is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of the first derivative with respect to a different independent variable. It is used to analyze the curvature of a function and to solve optimization problems in calculus.

2. How is the 2nd derivative change of variables calculated?

The 2nd derivative change of variables can be calculated using the chain rule, where the second derivative is equal to the product of the first derivative and the derivative of the variable transformation function.

3. What is the significance of the 2nd derivative change of variables in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, the 2nd derivative change of variables is used to analyze the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future state. It is particularly useful in physics, engineering, and economics to model and optimize various processes.

4. Can the 2nd derivative change of variables be negative?

Yes, the 2nd derivative change of variables can be negative. A negative second derivative indicates that the function is concave down, meaning that its curvature is decreasing as the independent variable increases.

5. How is the 2nd derivative change of variables related to the 2nd derivative test?

The 2nd derivative change of variables is used in the 2nd derivative test to determine the nature of critical points in a function. If the second derivative is positive at a critical point, the point is a local minimum, and if it is negative, the point is a local maximum.