Understanding Partial Derivatives with Multiple Variables

You have the right idea in that you want to use the multivariate chain rule. That would apply to the exterior derivative in the sense that ##\mathrm{d}(f\cdot g)=\mathrm{d}f\cdot g + f\cdot\mathrm{d}g##, and ##\mathrm{d}(f\cdot g\cdot h)=\mathrm{d}f\cdot g\cdot h + f\cdot\mathrm{d}g\cdot h + f\cdot g\cdot\mathrm{d}h##, but we have no rule for ##\mathrm{d}(f\cdot g)\cdot h##. What we can do is get creative with the
Jhenrique
Se a function f(x(t, s), y(t, s)) have as derivative with respect to t:

[tex]\frac{df}{dt}=\frac{df}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{df}{dy} \frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

And, with respect to s:

[tex]\frac{df}{ds}=\frac{df}{dx} \frac{dx}{ds}+\frac{df}{dy} \frac{dy}{ds}[/tex]

But, how will be the derivative with respect to t and s?

[tex]\frac{d^2f}{dtds}[/tex]

Or with respect to s and t

[tex]\frac{d^2f}{dsdt}[/tex]

I don't know if there is difference when change the order between t and s...

Physics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:

[tex]\frac{df}{dt}=\frac{df}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{df}{dy} \frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

And, with respect to s:

[tex]\frac{df}{ds}=\frac{df}{dx} \frac{dx}{ds}+\frac{df}{dy} \frac{dy}{ds}[/tex]
Since f is ultimately a function of two variables, t and s, it doesn't make sense to talk about df/dt or df/ds, the derivatives of f with respect to t and s.

Instead we can talk about the partial derivative of f with respect to t or to s, using this notation for your first equation above:
$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} $$

There are other forms of notation in use, such as fx to indicate the partial derivative (or just partial) of f with respect to x.
Jhenrique said:

We write that as
$$\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial s} $$

This is calculated as
$$ \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial s}\right)$$

In other words, take the partial of f with respect to s, and then take the partial of that with respect to t.
Jhenrique said:

For most functions that you're likely to come across, the mixed partials, as they're called, are the same.

I think that this
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial s \partial t} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{dxdx}{\partial s \partial t} + 2 \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y} \frac{dxdy}{\partial s \partial t} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{dydy}{\partial s \partial t}[/tex]
is different this
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial s} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{dxdx}{\partial t \partial s} + 2 \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y} \frac{dxdy}{\partial t \partial s} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{dydy}{\partial t \partial s}[/tex]
But, when wrote this form
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial s \partial t} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{dxdx}{\partial s \partial t} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y} \frac{dxdy}{\partial s \partial t} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x} \frac{dydx}{\partial s \partial t} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{dydy}{\partial s \partial t}[/tex]
it is not different this
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial s} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{dxdx}{\partial t \partial s} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y} \frac{dxdy}{\partial t \partial s} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x} \frac{dydx}{\partial t \partial s} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{dydy}{\partial t \partial s}[/tex]
I think...

I still wonder what comes to be?
[tex]\frac{dxdy}{dtds}[/tex]
Would be a Jacobian? Would be a product between dx/dt and dy/ds?

Where did you see that notation? I would recognise [itex]\dfrac{dx}{dt}\frac{dy}{ds}[/itex] as a product of derivatives and [itex]\dfrac{d(xy)}{d(st)}[/itex] as a Jacobian but you seem to have a mixture of those notations with only a single "vinculum" indicating a single fraction but 2 "d"s in both numerator and denominator. Wht information do you have about x and y? Is x a function of t only and y a function of s only (most likely badly written product of derivatives) or are x and y each functions of both t and s (most likely Jacobian)?

I posted the function in the first post. f(x(t, s), y(t, s)). And I from the relationship:
[tex]d^2f=(\frac{\partial }{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial }{\partial y} dy)^2f[/tex]
Adding dtds in denominator. But I don't know do this with all mathematical rigor. I have my doubts ...

Someone have more some opinion?

Jhenrique said:

And, with respect to s:

Well, aside from the notational problem mentioned by others (you need to use partials), you have come across a fundamental question of multivariate calculus: when can we change the order of partial differentiation?

You might consider looking up Clairaut's Theorem. This theorem is the explanation. The problem is also intimately related to the Poincaré Lemma.

Jhenrique said:
I posted the function in the first post. f(x(t, s), y(t, s)). And I from the relationship:
[tex]d^2f=(\frac{\partial }{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial }{\partial y} dy)^2f[/tex]
Adding dtds in denominator. But I don't know do this with all mathematical rigor. I have my doubts ...
You are right to have doubts. The exterior derivative (that "differential-making thingy"), denoted ##\mathrm{d}##, is described by several axioms, one of which is ##\mathrm{d}(\mathrm{d}\alpha)=\mathrm{d}^2\alpha=0##, where I use 0 to mean the additive identity for differential forms and ##\alpha## is any form. Your left hand side is 0 and your right hand side means nothing.

I think I messed up the topic title. Should be: "Second derivative parametrized". And I flinched 'cause I didn't used the notation ∂ correctly. But, with all respect, my question still remain! How to derive ∂²f/∂t∂s!? I can also apply the rule chair: ∂/∂s(∂f/∂t), but the result is quite different of equations (1), (2), (3) and (4) at post #3.

Jhenrique said:
I think I messed up the topic title. Should be: "Second derivative parametrized". And I flinched 'cause I didn't used the notation ∂ correctly. But, with all respect, my question still remain! How to derive ∂²f/∂t∂s!?
By breaking it down to what it means; namely, ∂/∂t(∂f/∂s).
Jhenrique said:
I can also apply the rule chair: ∂/∂s(∂f/∂t)
That's not the chain rule. ∂²f/∂t∂s means ∂/∂t(∂f/∂s). What you have, ∂/∂s(∂f/∂t), means taking the partial derivatives in the reverse order.
Jhenrique said:
, but the result is quite different of equations (1), (2), (3) and (4) at post #3.

Mandelbroth answered your question, or at least pointed you to some sources for answers.
Mandelbroth said:
Well, aside from the notational problem mentioned by others (you need to use partials), you have come across a fundamental question of multivariate calculus: when can we change the order of partial differentiation?

You might consider looking up Clairaut's Theorem. This theorem is the explanation. The problem is also intimately related to the Poincaré Lemma.

Jhenrique said:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial s \partial t} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{dxdx}{\partial s \partial t} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y} \frac{dxdy}{\partial s \partial t} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x} \frac{dydx}{\partial s \partial t} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{dydy}{\partial s \partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial s} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{dxdx}{\partial t \partial s} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y} \frac{dxdy}{\partial t \partial s} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x} \frac{dydx}{\partial t \partial s} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{dydy}{\partial t \partial s}[/tex]
I got something similar to this, but I got two additional terms:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial s \partial t} =\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial s}= \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\frac{\partial x}{\partial t } + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y}\left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial s }\frac{\partial x}{\partial t } + \frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\frac{\partial y}{\partial t }\right) + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{\partial y}{\partial s }\frac{\partial y}{\partial t }+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s \partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial s \partial t}[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
I got something similar to this, but I got two additional terms:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial s \partial t} =\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial s}= \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\frac{\partial x}{\partial t } + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y}\left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial s }\frac{\partial x}{\partial t } + \frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\frac{\partial y}{\partial t }\right) + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{\partial y}{\partial s }\frac{\partial y}{\partial t }+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s \partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial s \partial t}[/tex]

Chestermiller, your comment is very interesting to me! How did you come to this two additional terms?

Jhenrique said:
Chestermiller, your comment is very interesting to me! How did you come to this two additional terms?
Just differentiation by parts:
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial s} ({\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}})=\left(\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\right)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s\partial t}$$

Chestermiller said:
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial s} ({\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}})=\left(\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\right)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s\partial t}$$
I've never heard of "differentiation by parts." (Integration by parts, yes.) Aren't you just using the product and chain rules?

With relation to this, I don't know how appeared the ∂y above!?

Mark44 said:
I've never heard of "differentiation by parts." (Integration by parts, yes.) Aren't you just using the product and chain rules?
Yes. You're right. For some reason, I always call it differentiation by parts, but it's really the product rule. I can't remember when I started using this unusual terminology.

Jhenrique said:
With relation to this, I don't know how appeared the ∂y above!?
f is a function of both x and y, and y is a function of s.

Chestermiller said:
f is a function of both x and y, and y is a function of s.

but y is function of t too! and y isn't in the left side of equation where you derivative with relation to t. Or f is function of x(t, s) and y(t, s) or f is only function of x(t, s).

Jhenrique said:
but y is function of t too! and y isn't in the left side of equation where you derivative with relation to t. Or f is function of x(t, s) and y(t, s) or f is only function of x(t, s).
I don't understand what you are asking. f is a function of x and y, so all its partial derivatives with respect to either x , y, or both are also functions of x and y. And x and y are functions of t and s.

I want say to f(x(t, s), y(t, s)), ∂²f/∂s∂t is
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial s} \left({\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}} + {\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial t}} \right)=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\frac{\partial x}{\partial t } + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y}\left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial s }\frac{\partial x}{\partial t } + \frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\frac{\partial y}{\partial t }\right) + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{\partial y}{\partial s }\frac{\partial y}{\partial t }+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s \partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial s \partial t}[/tex]
And to f(x(t, s)), ∂²f/∂s∂t should be
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial s} \left({\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}}\right)=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s\partial t}[/tex]

Jhenrique said:
I want say to f(x(t, s), y(t, s)), ∂²f/∂s∂t is
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial s} \left({\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}} + {\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial t}} \right)[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\frac{\partial x}{\partial t } + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y}\left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial s }\frac{\partial x}{\partial t } + \frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\frac{\partial y}{\partial t }\right) + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{\partial y}{\partial s }\frac{\partial y}{\partial t }+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s \partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial s \partial t}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial s} \left({\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}}\right)=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s\partial t}[/tex]
Yes. If f is a function only of x, and not y, then this, of course, is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how contrast these 2 equations apparently unequal!?

Chestermiller said:
Jhenrique said:

Jhenrique said:
So, how contrast these 2 equations apparently unequal!?
The first one assumes that f depends on y, and the second one assumes that f does not depend on y. So, of course, you would expect to get two different results. Why is this surprising to you?

oooh, I understood! thx!

NO, wait! Supposing f(x(t, s), y(t, s)), the equation correct isn't this?
[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} \right )[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} \right )\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} \right )\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial x \partial t}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial y \partial t}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jhenrique said:
NO, wait! Supposing f(x(t, s), y(t, s)), the equation correct isn't this?
[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial s}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} \right )[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} \right )\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} \right )\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial x \partial t}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial y \partial t}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}[/tex]
What the heck is [itex]\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial x \partial t}[/itex] supposed to mean? What's being held constant? Still, if you want to persist with this formalism, then if you write:
[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial s}(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})=\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial x \partial t}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} +\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial y \partial t}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}[/tex]
then you get:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial x \partial t}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} +\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial y \partial t}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s\partial t}[/tex]
That gets you back to the same result I gave.

Likes 1 person
That's complicated! LOOOL thx!

1. What is a partial derivative function?

A partial derivative function is a mathematical function that calculates the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. It is used to analyze how small changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of the function.

2. How is a partial derivative function different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative calculates the rate of change of a single-variable function with respect to its input. A partial derivative function, on the other hand, calculates the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables while assuming that the other variables remain constant.

3. What is the notation used for partial derivatives?

The notation used for partial derivatives is similar to the notation used for regular derivatives, but with a slight difference. Instead of using the prime (') symbol, we use subscripts to denote the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken. For example, the partial derivative of a function f(x,y) with respect to x would be written as ∂f/∂x.

4. How are partial derivative functions used in real life?

Partial derivatives are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. They are used to analyze and optimize complex systems that involve multiple variables, such as the weather, stock market trends, and computer algorithms.

5. Can partial derivative functions be used to find maximum and minimum values?

Yes, partial derivative functions can be used to find maximum and minimum values of multi-variable functions. This is done by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and setting them equal to 0. The resulting system of equations can then be solved to find the critical points, which can be used to determine the maximum or minimum values of the function.