2nd order differential equation: undetermined coefficients

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean.If yp = At + B + Cte-t, then yp'' - yp has to equal t - 4e-t. Take yp and its second derivative, and substitute them into your nonhomogeneous equation to get A, B, and C.Got it... I was making a mistake with my derivative... I feel stupid.
dmoney123

Homework Statement

y''-y=t-4e^(-t)

Homework Equations

method of undetermined coefficients

The Attempt at a Solution

solving for characteristic equation first

y''-y=0

r^2-1=0

c_1e^(-t)+c_2e^(t)

RHS

particular solution

t-4e^(-t)

y_p(t)= At+B+Ce^(-t)

y_pt'(t)=A-Ce^(-t)

y_p''(t)=Ce^(-t)

plug into LHS

Ce^(-t)-At-B-Ce^(-t)=t-4e^(-t)

-A=t
A=-1

B=0

C cancels on the left... I am not sure how to any further?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dmoney123 said:

Homework Statement

y''-y=t-4e^(-t)

Homework Equations

method of undetermined coefficients

The Attempt at a Solution

solving for characteristic equation first

y''-y=0

r^2-1=0

c_1e^(-t)+c_2e^(t)

RHS

particular solution

t-4e^(-t)

y_p(t)= At+B+Ce^(-t)
No, this won't work, since e-t is already a solution in the complementary equation. Do you know what to do when you run into this?
dmoney123 said:
y_pt'(t)=A-Ce^(-t)

y_p''(t)=Ce^(-t)

plug into LHS

Ce^(-t)-At-B-Ce^(-t)=t-4e^(-t)

-A=t
A=-1

B=0

C cancels on the left... I am not sure how to any further?

Thanks

Mark44 said:
No, this won't work, since e-t is already a solution in the complementary equation. Do you know what to do when you run into this?

You add a coefficient t

so the guess becomes At+B+Cte^(-t) right? When I plug that back in, it still cancels out

dmoney123 said:
You add a coefficient t

so the guess becomes At+B+Cte^(-t) right? When I plug that back in, it still cancels out
I'm not sure what you mean.
If yp = At + B + Cte-t, then yp'' - yp has to equal t - 4e-t. Take yp and its second derivative, and substitute them into your nonhomogeneous equation to get A, B, and C.

Likes dmoney123
Got it... I was making a mistake with my derivative... I feel stupid.

Thanks Mark44!

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its first and second derivatives. It is typically used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are undetermined coefficients in a 2nd order differential equation?

Undetermined coefficients are the coefficients of the general solution of a 2nd order differential equation that are left unknown and need to be determined by solving the equation using initial or boundary conditions.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation using undetermined coefficients?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation using undetermined coefficients, first, find the general solution by equating the equation to zero and solving for the unknown coefficients. Then, use the initial or boundary conditions to determine the values of the coefficients and obtain the particular solution.

4. Can you use undetermined coefficients to solve any 2nd order differential equation?

No, undetermined coefficients can only be used to solve 2nd order differential equations that have constant coefficients and non-homogeneous terms.

5. What are the limitations of using undetermined coefficients to solve 2nd order differential equations?

The limitations of using undetermined coefficients include the inability to solve 2nd order differential equations with variable coefficients or non-constant non-homogeneous terms. It also may not work for equations with repeated roots or complex roots.