1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODE - having trouble

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    This problem is in regard to a suspension system (mass, spring, dashpot) subjected to a 2 cm bump in the road. Given the mass and spring coefficient, we are to find:

a) The minimum damping coefficient, c, to avoid oscillation.
    b) The expression for amplitude of vibration of the mass after the vehicle runs over the bump.
    c) The amplitude of vibration 1 ms and 1 sec after running over the bump.

m = 270kg
    k = 70,000N/m
    d = 2cm (height of bump)

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]my'' + cy' +ky = f(t)[/tex]
    This is a non-homogeneous equation, so:
    [tex]y(t) = y_h(t) + y_p(t)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a I used the homogeneous solution:
    [tex]y'' + \frac{c}{m}y' + \frac{k}{m}y = 0[/tex]
    to find the characteristic:
    [tex]r^2 + \frac{c}{m}r + \frac{k}{m} = 0[/tex]
    Inside it's quadratic, I set [tex](\frac{c}{m})^2 - 4\frac{k}{m} = 0[/tex] for the critically damped case and got [tex]c_{min} = 8,695[/tex]N-m/s.

Since this gives me two identical roots the soln becomes [tex]y_h(t) = c_1e^{-16t} + c_2te^{-16t}[/tex]

I'm pretty sure that's right, but the part I'm stumped on is how to solve the particular solution.

I tried solving it with the forcing function being an impulsive function [tex]f(t) = d(\frac{1}{\epsilon})[/tex] where d is the .02m bump. I chose t=0 for the impulse.

[tex]y_p'' + \frac{c}{m}y_p' + \frac{k}{m}y_p = \frac{2}{m\epsilon}[/tex]for [tex]0<t<\epsilon[/tex]
    I chose polynomials for the solution:
    [tex]y_p = A_0 + A_1t[/tex]
    so:
    [tex]y_p' = A_1[/tex] and [tex]y_p'' = 0[/tex]
    When I plug this back in I get:
    [tex]\frac{c}{m}A_1 + \frac{k}{m}(A_0 + A_1t) = \frac{2}{m\epsilon}[/tex]

Now, how do I separate the coefficients? Have I gone astray somewhere? I don't know where to go from here.
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Can you explain WHY you chose y= A0+A1t as the particular solution. As long as t is less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex], your right hand side is a constant. Why not just y= A?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?