1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-2 B.S. in Applied Physics and Engineering

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1
    Everyone on this website probably gets this question a lot, or something like it. But, I'm currently enrolled in a 3-2 program which allows you to get a B.S. in Applied Physics then a B.S. in your selected engineering field. The problem is Penn State, the school in which I would get my engineering degree, is not currently accepting applicants in many engineering majors. I could also go to the University of Maryland for engineering but I would prefer not to pay out of state tutition. My real question is, should I stay at my current school for 4 years and get a B.S. in Physics then apply for grad school at Penn State for engineering? I am very intersted in physics, but also how things work and applying math to the real world.

Any help from everyone would help a bunch!!
    Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2
    Anyone??

4. Nov 25, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you're choosing between:

- a BS in Applied Physics + a bachelor's in engineering + a master's in engineering, or
    - a BS in Applied Physics + a master's in engineering?

Yeah I say that's not a huge difference, probably, from a hiring manager's perspective.

Just be sure to check with the grad school you're interested in to see if you need extra coursework before they let you into the master's program.

5. Nov 25, 2012 #4
    Master programs for engineering require a bachelor of engineering first. I'm guessing you're talking about an advanced diploma of engineering, which isn't advisable given you'll be going up against people with a bachelor's and a Masters. This is how it works in Australia anyway. So yeah, first option is significantly more adviseable. Source: I have a Bachelor and Master of Engineering.

6. Nov 28, 2012 #5
    I am also enrolled in a 3-2 physics/engineering program, and am currently filling out transfer applications. I cannot speak for your situation, but it seems to me as if the majority of people in my program opt for the route you suggested, as none of their scholarships carry over when they transfer, so it is just cheaper to stay at my current institution for the full 4 years and go to grad school.

You will have to evaluate the financial aspect yourself, but I would think that you should be able to enroll in a graduate engineering program with an undergraduate degree in applied physics (I have no special knowledge though).

Is it possible to apply to other schools in state? My dual degree program office (supposedly) will negotiate transfer credits with any institution you've been accepted to, even ones they do not have a prior agreement with. It may be worth your while to see if yours will do the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook