1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3-D Dirac Delta Fnc (DDF) Evaluated

1. Mar 17, 2006 #1
    Hi,

After reading DJGriffiths sections on the DDF I have a question about evaluating it in regards Prob. 1.46 (a), to wit:

"Write an expression for the electric charge density [tex]\rho(\vec{r})[/tex] of a point charge q at [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]'. Make sure that the volume integral of [tex]\rho[/tex] equals q."

This is easily done in rectangular coordinates, namely, let [tex]\rho(\vec{r}) = q\delta(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')[/tex].

Checking that this resultsin a volume integral of q I did:

[tex] \int_V \rho(\vec{r}) d\tau = \int_V q\delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') d\tau = q \int_V \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') d\tau = q \cdot 1 = q.[/tex]

Here is my question: doing the integral as is I get the correct answer. However, when I wrote it out in spherical coord's. It seems that I should rewrite [tex]\rho(\vec{r})[/tex] as [tex]\frac{q}{4\pi}[/tex]?

Why? Because:

[tex] \int_V \rho(\vec{r}) d\tau = \frac{q}{4\pi} \int_V \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') dr d\Omega = \frac{q}{4\pi} \cdot \int_0^R \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') dr \cdot \int_0^{4\pi} d\Omega = \frac{q}{4\pi} \cdot 4\pi \cdot \int_0^R \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') dr = q \int_0^R \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') dr = q[/tex].

So my question is: is this second form of evaluation correct? And if it is, then why does [tex]\rho[/tex] have two different expressions? Also, what about other curvilinear coordinates? Shouldn't his expression be independent of the geometry being used? So I suspect there is something wrong with my second evaluation. Can you not integrate over [tex]\delta^3[/tex] over one dimension?

tia!
    -LD

EDIT: I see it now. I was missing the fact that [tex]\delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') = \delta(r-r')\delta(\theta-\theta')\delta(\phi-\phi')[/tex] and so the integral over [tex]\Omega[/tex] is still 1 and not [tex]4\pi[/tex].

PS: I wasn't sure if I should have deleted this post having figured out the correct answer, or leave it and post what I found out. Let me know and I will do whatever is the correct procedure here.

thx!
    -LD

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are integrating the delta function incorrectly in your last formula. Since it is a 3 dimensional delta, its integral over all 3 dimensions, not just r, is equal to 1.

4. Mar 17, 2006 #3
    :) You caught me mid-edit! :)

but thanks for the confirmation! :!!)

-LD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?