3-D Dirac Delta Fnc (DDF) Evaluated

In summary, the question is about evaluating the electric charge density of a point charge in regards to a specific problem. The volume integral is checked in both rectangular and spherical coordinates, with the latter requiring a different expression for the charge density. However, the second form of evaluation is incorrect due to an incorrect integration of the three-dimensional delta function. The correct integral over all 3 dimensions should equal 1, not just the integral over r.
Living_Dog
Hi,

After reading DJGriffiths sections on the DDF I have a question about evaluating it in regards Prob. 1.46 (a), to wit:

"Write an expression for the electric charge density [tex]\rho(\vec{r})[/tex] of a point charge q at [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]'. Make sure that the volume integral of [tex]\rho[/tex] equals q."

This is easily done in rectangular coordinates, namely, let [tex]\rho(\vec{r}) = q\delta(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')[/tex].

Checking that this resultsin a volume integral of q I did:

[tex] \int_V \rho(\vec{r}) d\tau = \int_V q\delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') d\tau = q \int_V \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') d\tau = q \cdot 1 = q.[/tex]

Here is my question: doing the integral as is I get the correct answer. However, when I wrote it out in spherical coord's. It seems that I should rewrite [tex]\rho(\vec{r})[/tex] as [tex]\frac{q}{4\pi}[/tex]?

Why? Because:

[tex] \int_V \rho(\vec{r}) d\tau = \frac{q}{4\pi} \int_V \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') dr d\Omega = \frac{q}{4\pi} \cdot \int_0^R \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') dr \cdot \int_0^{4\pi} d\Omega = \frac{q}{4\pi} \cdot 4\pi \cdot \int_0^R \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') dr = q \int_0^R \delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') dr = q[/tex].

So my question is: is this second form of evaluation correct? And if it is, then why does [tex]\rho[/tex] have two different expressions? Also, what about other curvilinear coordinates? Shouldn't his expression be independent of the geometry being used? So I suspect there is something wrong with my second evaluation. Can you not integrate over [tex]\delta^3[/tex] over one dimension?

tia!
-LD

EDIT: I see it now. I was missing the fact that [tex]\delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') = \delta(r-r')\delta(\theta-\theta')\delta(\phi-\phi')[/tex] and so the integral over [tex]\Omega[/tex] is still 1 and not [tex]4\pi[/tex].

PS: I wasn't sure if I should have deleted this post having figured out the correct answer, or leave it and post what I found out. Let me know and I will do whatever is the correct procedure here.

thx!
-LD

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are integrating the delta function incorrectly in your last formula. Since it is a 3 dimensional delta, its integral over all 3 dimensions, not just r, is equal to 1.

HallsofIvy said:
You are integrating the delta function incorrectly in your last formula. Since it is a 3 dimensional delta, its integral over all 3 dimensions, not just r, is equal to 1.

:) You caught me mid-edit! :)

but thanks for the confirmation! :!)

-LD

What is a 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF)?

A 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF) is a mathematical function that is used to model the behavior of a point-like particle in three-dimensional space. It represents the concentration of mass or charge at a single point in space.

How is a 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF) evaluated?

A 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF) is evaluated by integrating it over a small volume surrounding the point in space where it is located. This results in a value of 1 at the point and 0 everywhere else.

What is the physical significance of a 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF)?

The physical significance of a 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF) is that it represents an idealized point-like object with infinite density and zero size. It is often used in physics and engineering to simplify calculations and model the behavior of point-like particles.

How does a 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF) differ from a 1-D Dirac Delta Function?

A 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF) differs from a 1-D Dirac Delta Function in that it operates in three-dimensional space, while a 1-D Dirac Delta Function operates in one-dimensional space. Additionally, the 3-D DDF has a larger value at the point of evaluation, as it represents a concentration of mass or charge in three dimensions instead of just one.

In what fields of science is a 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF) commonly used?

A 3-D Dirac Delta Function (DDF) is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model the behavior of point-like particles. It is also used in signal processing and image processing to represent an impulse or sharp change in a signal or image.