3-pin (Gas Discharge Tube) Surge arrester rating DC spark over voltage

In summary, the 3-pin type surge arrester rated at 250V is equivalent to the two pin type surge arrester rated at 500V.
Sherlock_H
3-pin (Gas Discharge Tube) Surge arrester rating "DC spark over voltage"

Could someone please help with a question about Gas Discharge tube, surge arresters rating?

I am looking at a public address audio equipment which uses a 100vrms audio lines driven from a audio transformer. Currently the equipment has a single two pin epcos surge arrester placed across audio line, (It's blue and marked 500). This has a 'DC spark-over' voltage of 500V and discharge class of 20KA/20A.

I have been asked to change this so its protects down to Earth rather than just across the line. Because of a lack of space I have chosen to use an equivalent 3pin type, with the centre pin being the Earth connection.

I have two problems that are confusing me,

1. I am not sure whether the 'DC spark-over' rating of 3pin arrester is still rated between the end pins down to the centre pin or still across the end pins. So, is a 250V 3pin type is equivalent to a 500V two pin type?

2. Assuming the voltage between each line to Earth will be half the voltage that's between the audio lines, do I choose an arrester that's also half the voltage across the audio lines, i.e 250V instead of 500V (depending on the answer to first question).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Sherlock_H said:
Could someone please help with a question about Gas Discharge tube, surge arresters rating?

I am looking at a public address audio equipment which uses a 100vrms audio lines driven from a audio transformer. Currently the equipment has a single two pin epcos surge arrester placed across audio line, (It's blue and marked 500). This has a 'DC spark-over' voltage of 500V and discharge class of 20KA/20A.

I have been asked to change this so its protects down to Earth rather than just across the line. Because of a lack of space I have chosen to use an equivalent 3pin type, with the centre pin being the Earth connection.

I have two problems that are confusing me,

1. I am not sure whether the 'DC spark-over' rating of 3pin arrester is still rated between the end pins down to the centre pin or still across the end pins. So, is a 250V 3pin type is equivalent to a 500V two pin type?

2. Assuming the voltage between each line to Earth will be half the voltage that's between the audio lines, do I choose an arrester that's also half the voltage across the audio lines, i.e 250V instead of 500V (depending on the answer to first question).

Thanks.

Could you post links to the datasheets for the old and new arrestors? That would help us answer your questions. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply,
Apologies for the delay.

I believe this is the spec for the existing GDT, which is across the 100V audio lines.
http://www.epcos.com/inf/100/ds/a81a500xx1490.pdf

Reading on the epcos website it seems to me that the 3-pin types are more like

two separate GDT connected in series with the centre electrode as the common..
(Reference the link below)
"Test configuration for 3-electrode arresters:
The specified spark-over voltages, insulating resistance and capacitance refer to the respective measurements between one of the two wire electrodes (a/b) and the center
electrode (c).
Unless otherwise specified, the impulse or AC current is applied simultaneously from the two line electrodes to the center electrode with the defined value as the total current through the center electrode (c). "

http://www.epcos.com/web/generator/Web/Sections/ProductCatalog/ProtectionDevices/SurgeArresters/PDF__Arresters/PDFDefinitions,property=Data__en.pdf;/PDFDefinitions.pdf)

I'm still not sure what voltage to choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherlock_H said:
Thanks for the reply,
Apologies for the delay.

I believe this is the spec for the existing GDT, which is across the 100V audio lines.
http://www.epcos.com/inf/100/ds/a81a500xx1490.pdf

Reading on the epcos website it seems to me that the 3-pin types are more like

two separate GDT connected in series with the centre electrode as the common..
(Reference the link below)
"Test configuration for 3-electrode arresters:
The specified spark-over voltages, insulating resistance and capacitance refer to the respective measurements between one of the two wire electrodes (a/b) and the center
electrode (c).
Unless otherwise specified, the impulse or AC current is applied simultaneously from the two line electrodes to the center electrode with the defined value as the total current through the center electrode (c). "

http://www.epcos.com/web/generator/Web/Sections/ProductCatalog/ProtectionDevices/SurgeArresters/PDF__Arresters/PDFDefinitions,property=Data__en.pdf;/PDFDefinitions.pdf)

I'm still not sure what voltage to choose.

From your 2nd link, it does sound like the arc-over voltage for the 3-pin devices is specified as each of the two fire voltages from the two electrodes (a/b) to the center electrode (c). So if you want a differential a-b fire voltage of 500V, you would use a 3-pin arrestor rated at 250V.

You may want to give their Customer Support folks a call to verify this, or if you can order a small quantity, just get some ane measure them yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a 3-pin gas discharge tube surge arrester?

A 3-pin gas discharge tube surge arrester is a type of electrical device that is used to protect electronic equipment from voltage spikes or surges. It works by diverting excess electrical energy caused by a surge to the ground, preventing it from damaging the connected equipment.

What is the rating of a 3-pin gas discharge tube surge arrester?

The rating of a 3-pin gas discharge tube surge arrester refers to the maximum amount of voltage that the device can withstand before it starts to conduct and divert the excess energy. This rating is typically measured in volts and can range from a few hundred volts to several thousand volts.

What is DC spark over voltage?

DC spark over voltage is the voltage at which a gas discharge tube surge arrester will start to conduct and divert the excess energy. This is also known as the breakdown voltage and is an important factor in determining the effectiveness of the surge protection device.

How is the DC spark over voltage determined?

The DC spark over voltage of a gas discharge tube surge arrester is determined by several factors, including the gas used in the device, the spacing between the electrodes, and the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment. Manufacturers typically test and rate their surge arresters to ensure they meet specific DC spark over voltage standards.

Why is the DC spark over voltage important?

The DC spark over voltage is an important factor in determining the effectiveness of a gas discharge tube surge arrester. A higher spark over voltage means the device can withstand higher voltage surges, providing better protection for connected equipment. It is also important to ensure that the spark over voltage is not too low, as this can result in false tripping of the surge arrester and potentially damage the connected equipment.

Back