3 Pulleys System, find the acceleration of both mass.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Bonten
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Here is a picture that I putted together(see attached picture).
m1= 0.235 kg
N = m1g = 2.303 N
m2= 0.350 kg
m2g = 3.430 N
fk= 0.590 N

By measurement, I confirmed (d1)=4(d2).
Therefore, (v1)=4(v2), a1= 4(a2).

Homework Equations


ƩFx=(T1)-fk=(m1)(a1)
ƩFy=(m2)g-(T2)/2=(m2)(a2)
(T2)-4(T1)=0

The Attempt at a Solution


Try to find a1 and a2.
[(m2)g-(m2)a2)]/2-fk=(m1)4(a2)
1.715-0.175(a2)-0.590=(.235)(4)(a2)
1.125=1.115(a2)
(a2)=1.01 m/s^2
(a1)=4.036m/s^2

please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
 
Attachments
  • Pulley.jpg
    Pulley.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,140
Physics news on Phys.org
Bonten said:
By measurement, I confirmed (d1)=4(d2).
Therefore, (v1)=4(v2), a1= 4(a2).

Homework Equations


ƩFx=(T1)-fk=(m1)(a1)
ƩFy=(m2)g-(T2)/2=(m2)(a2)
(T2)-4(T1)=0please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Hi Bonten!

The expressions in red are not right. Think them over.ehild
 
I got hang up on this all weekend.
1)would it be ƩFy=(m2)g-(T2)=(m2)(a2) ?
2)would (T2)-2(T1)=0 ? since T2 exerted the force from (m2)(g2) to the pulley (P1) which divided the tension by 2.
3)but the T2 got divided by 2 by the pulley P2 which directly attached with m2. here is the diagram, it applies with p1 pulley as well.
 
Bonten said:
I got hang up on this all weekend.
1)would it be ƩFy=(m2)g-(T2)=(m2)(a2) ?

No. Two pieces of string act upward, each with tension T2. m2g-2T2=m2a.

Bonten said:
2)would (T2)-2(T1)=0 ? since T2 exerted the force from (m2)(g2) to the pulley (P1) which divided the tension by 2.
Yes, the pulley is massless so the sum of forces acting to it must be zero. 2T1 acts to the left and T2 acts to the right: T2-2T1=0.

Bonten said:
3)but the T2 got divided by 2 by the pulley P2 which directly attached with m2. here is the diagram, it applies with p1 pulley as well.

Your diagram applies for equilibrium, when W-2T=0, so T=W/2.



ehild
 
It can be seen clearly in your diagram, 2×T2 is opposing the motion of M2.
 
this is system not quite in equilibrium, since the downward motion of m2g will create an acceleration for the whole system, but a2 will be 4 times smaller than a1.