1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

32-bit floating point binary query.

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    I’m hoping that someone will be able to clarify these questions that I have been given as I’m very confused.

1. Convert 56 832 into a 32-bit floating binary representation.
    2. Convert the 32-bit floating point binary representation B28C0F34 into decimal.

I have watched a couple of YouTube videos and read some articles on the web about floating point numbers. I am under the impression that they are used to represent numbers with decimal points. Am I correct in thinking this? Maybe there has been a typo and the number should read 56.832?

Also, how is B28C0F34 a 32-bit floating point binary representation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Floating point numbers do not have to have a fractional part, but they may. So you should still be able to convert a whole number into a floating point number (the exponent is just zero).

B28C0F34 is just a 32-bit quantity. Each letter/number represents a hex nibble 0-F. How you interpret the quantity is up to you (in this case you are to decode its floating point values).

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    I spent some time on this earlier today and managed to figure floating point numbers out.

Once again, thanks for the direction berkeman.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook