1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

340 Hz note is played outdoors. Temperature and wave length

1. Mar 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 340 Hz note is played outdoors on a day when the temperature is 25 degrees Celcius. What is the closest estimate of the wavelength of this note?

A) .1 m
    B) 1 m
    C) 10 m
    D) 50 m
    E) 340 m

2. Relevant equations

might be useful

3. The attempt at a solution

basically, I tried looking for velocity relative to temperature.
    I used the previous equation that

but that didn't help much because I do not know m or k.
    I think I'm missing a basic knowledge because I have not learned much about this stuff yet. (I only know the formula...)

someone help please!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2007 #2

Gold Member

You're overthinknig the problem. They're trying to get you to understand as opposed to simply plug numbers in formulae.

As a ballpark figure - how far will sound travel (in feet) in one second?
    How many wavelengths are we looking at in that second?
    Thus, how long is one wavelength (approximately).
  4. Mar 24, 2007 #3

Gold Member

You should be able to find the speed of sound in air at various temperatures and pressures listed somewhere on the internet. You only need an approximate value and you already have the necessary equation.
  5. Mar 24, 2007 #4
    yes I figured this out. Sorry for not reposting. I found the velocity of sound at room temperature which is approximately 340.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?