1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Equilibrium with cables (statics)

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Diagram is attached.

The mast OA is supported by 3 cables. If cable AB is subjected to a tension of 500N, determine the tension in cables AC and AD and the vertical force F which the mast exerts along its axis on the collar at A.

a = 6m
    b = 3m
    c = 6m
    d = 3m
    e = 2m
    f = 1.5m
    g = 2m

2. Relevant equations

For this assignment, I'm pretty sure the prof just wants us to consider sum of Fx, Fy and Fz, and to take no moments.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a complete solution, but apparently it's not the right answer according to the teacher assistant (I don't know what the right answer is).

so vector AB = 2i + 3j - 6k
    AC = -1.5i + 2j - 6k
    AD = -3i -6j - 6k

and I get that vector Fab = (142.85i + 214.285j - 428.55k)N

Fac = (-0.2308(Fac)i + 0.30769(Fac)j - 0.923076(Fac)k)N (where the Fac's on the right side of the equation represent the magnitude of the force *vector* Fac)
    and

Fad = (-0.333(Fad)i - 0.666(Fad)j - 0.666(Fad)k)N

and of course, F = (Fk)N

where i, j and k are all unit vectors in the direction of the x, y and z axis, respectively.

From that, I have that:

sum of Fx = 0

Equation 1: 142.85i - 0.2308(Fac)i - 0.333(Fad)i = 0

sum of Fy = 0

Equation 2: 214.285j + 0.30769(Fac)j - 0.666(Fad)j = 0

sum of Fz = 0

Equation 3: -428.55k - 0.923076(Fac)k - 0.666(Fad)k + F(k)= 0

That's 3 equations in 3 unknowns. I then rearranged equation 1 to get Fac in terms of Fad. I plugged this Fac equality into equation 2, to get Fad alone.

My answer for Fad is 910.2 N. Apparently that's wrong. Plugging that in elsewhere, I get that Fac = -694.2 N and that F = 393.9 N, which are both wrong according to the marker.

Any suggestions/corrections? Did I not approach the question properly or assume too much?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

This problem is a simple concurrent forces on point A. The sum of this force will equal a resultant force. You tackled the problem correctly, first find the position vectors, then the normalize (unit vectors). Check for mistakes in your numbers. I checked your position vectors and they are right. I also checked on unit vector and it was right.

By the way, I recommend using fractions instead of decimals whenever possible, so your answers will tend to be more accurate (your rounding is a bit off sometimes).

4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    Aha, it appears that it was just a simple arithmetic mistake!

Thanks for the tip.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?