Mechanics statics equilibrium/trig question

In summary, the tension in the tow rope pulling the car in Newtons is 2 500N. To determine the minimum length of the rope l, between A and B, so that the tension in either AB or AC does not exceed the tension of 3200 N, I used the equations of equilibrium and solved for theta. However, the answer is not correct. I also put Fab and Fac to be 3200, as the maximum tensions.
speko1

Homework Statement

The tension in the tow rope pulling the car in Newtons is 2 500N. Determine the minimum length of the rope l, between A and B, so that the tension in either AB or AC does not exceed the tension of 3 200 N.

Homework Equations

Fy = 0
Fx = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well so far I got an answer, which i have been told by my lecturer is not right.

I used the equations of equilibrium and solved for theta, afterwards i used trigonometry and solved for the side AB, which is the wanted length.

However, the answer is not correct.

Also, i put Fab and Fac to be 3200, as the maximum tensions. ( as it says in the question)

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Attachments

• question 5 help!.doc
    108.5 KB · Views: 233
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know if your work is included in the document, but the submitted document is pending approval.
If you show your solution, even if the answer is not correct, we can help you spot the problem.

Hello mathmate,

The answer i get is not completely opposite to what the lecturer is looking for, it is just that it is not the right one.

Apparently there are more than one answers.

I summed all the forces in x direction, y direction, looking at the diagram(attached) as a 2D body.
When i sum all the points at y, i get
T=Fab sin theta + Fac sin 30 -------1
and when i sum all the forces at x, i get
Fab cos theta= Fac cos 30 -------- 2

From there i can get the unknown angle,

sin theta= T-Fac sin 30/Fab ------3
cos theta= Fac cos 30/Fab ------4

diving 3 by 4, i get that tan theta = T - Fac sin 30/Fab cos 30, from which i got the angle theta to be 19.12. ( I assumed that both Fac and Fab are 3 200, but they are not since the angles are not the same)

and afterwards, i used the trig and got the length of l.

But, i have been told by my lecturer that it is incorrect.

He mentioned something that we can change the value of theta, and also that we don't have to say that Fac and Fab are 3 200, that is only the maximum tension that can be allowed.

What is your point of view on all of this? I know it is a bit messy.

If you got any queries, feel free to post if forward.

Thanks for ur time mate.

If you want quick answers, namely before the attachment is approved, you will need to give a textual description of the diagram, or post the diagram elsewhere and include a link to the diagram.

Without seeing the diagram or a textual description, I do not (yet) understand what do A, B and C refer to. How many ropes are there? You need to define theta and l.
Is the tow rope AB, or AC, or both?

Before we go too far, I note that "maximum tension of 3200 N" doee not imply Fac or Fab=3200N, it means that the maximum permissible value is 3200N. It would generally not be correct to assume they take up the maximum value.

Haha sorry man, I just realized what you were talking about.

here is the full pic of that question.

By the way i got the answer of 79. ill post my full working tomorrow, but that is pretty much all i had done.

Attachments

• q5.bmp
    172.6 KB · Views: 570
Your teacher is right, because unless theta is 30 degrees, the two tensions cannot be equal, as can be deduced from your equation 2.
In this situation, I would make two calculations.
First, assume Fac=3200, and calculate Fab. If Fab > 3200, this is not the solution.
You'd then need to assume Fab=3200 and calculate Fac, which should be less than 3200.
From the solution which satisfies Fac<=3200 and Fab<=3200, calculate theta.
The length cannot be known unless the length of AC is known, or some other additional piece of information not present in your link.
Give it a try and let me know what you get.

Note: if you have learned about the triangle of forces in equilibrium, the solution would be quite easy to obtain using this technique. On the other hand, your summation approach is OK too.

Nope, that is all i had to present in my FBD. Once i find the value of theta, i can solve for l(AB) by trig. either AB/sin 30= 1.2/sin (180 -theta - 30)= AC/sin theta
or tan theta=sin theta/cos theta, anyway by using trig functions

Also, that is exactly what i did for the first time when i got the answer to be 79, so don't think that will work.

Thanks for your help anyway

1. What is mechanics statics equilibrium?

Mechanics statics equilibrium is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of stationary objects and the forces acting on them. It focuses on the balance of forces and moments to determine the stability and motion of objects at rest.

2. How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to the balance of forces and moments on stationary objects, while dynamic equilibrium refers to the balance of forces and moments on objects in motion. In static equilibrium, the net force and net moment must be equal to zero, whereas in dynamic equilibrium, the net force and net moment may be non-zero but must be constant.

3. What is the importance of static equilibrium in real-life applications?

Static equilibrium is crucial in various real-life applications, such as building and bridge construction, designing structures, and analyzing the stability of objects. It helps engineers and scientists ensure that structures and objects are in balance and can withstand external forces and loads.

4. How do trigonometric functions apply to mechanics statics equilibrium?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, are used in mechanics statics equilibrium to calculate the magnitude and direction of forces and moments acting on an object. These functions help in solving problems involving angles and components of forces and moments.

5. Can you provide an example of a mechanics statics equilibrium problem?

Sure, an example of a mechanics statics equilibrium problem would be a bridge being analyzed to determine if it can support the weight of vehicles passing over it. The forces acting on the bridge, such as the weight of the bridge and the weight of the vehicles, must be balanced to ensure the stability and safety of the structure.