1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Quantum harmonic Oscillator

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What are the stationary states of an isotropic 3D quantum harmonic oscillator in a potential [tex]U(x,y,z) = {1\over2}m\omega^2 (x^2+y^2+z^2)[/tex] in the form [tex]\psi(x,y,z)=f(x)g(y)h(z)[/tex] and how many linearly independent states have energy [tex]E=({3\over 2}+n)\hbar\omega[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

See above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution of a HO in 1D, say the x-direction, is [tex]c H_n e^{\sqrt{m\omega\over\hbar}x}[/tex] where [tex]H_n[/tex] is the [tex]nth[/tex] Hermite polynomial. So I am guessing [tex]\psi = c^3 H_n^3 e^{{m\omega\over\hbar}(x^2+y^2+z^2)}[/tex]. I don't quit understand how to count L.I. states, though. I am guessing the number of combinations of [tex]n_x,n_y,n_z[/tex] such that [tex]n_x+n_y+n_z=n[/tex]? Please help! Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's not quite right.
    Decent guess. Try plugging [itex]\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] into the Schrodinger equation. You should find the equation separates, so you can solve it.
    Yes, that's correct.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    Thanks, vela. So is [tex]\psi=cH_{n_x}H_{n_y}H_{n_z}e^{{m\omega\over\hbar}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)}}[/tex], where c is some normalization constant?

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Close. You're missing a factor of -1/2 in the exponent. What's the argument of the Hermite polynomials?

6. Sep 4, 2011 #5
    Ah, thanks. Is the argument [tex]\sqrt{m\omega\over\hbar}x_i[/tex], where [tex]x_i\in\{x,y,z\}[/tex]?

7. Sep 4, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup!

8. Sep 4, 2011 #7
    Thanks! :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook