Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4 dimensions

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    How do you calculate an object in 4 dimensions? Like the 4 dimensional cube. I understand that a point is the begining of a line and a line is the begining of a plane. From there a plane translates into a 3 dimensional object. A 3 dimensional object translates into a 4 dimensional thing... I am confused at what the fourth dimension represents and what it offers in the field of applied mathematics. So what are some of the uses of the 4th dimension in analysis?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2
    There is no "the" fourth dimension; dimension merely describes the number of coordinates needed to specify a point. I'm doing statistics with a 74 dimensional dataset as we speak; this isn't particularly unusual. There's no need to attach any sort of "real world" significance to it.

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    Although in physics, 4th dimension is usually regarded to be 'time'. Therefore, your representation would be the cube's shape and position as time passes (so, a bunch of different plots of cubes).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook