Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4-year-old suspended

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    A four year old was suspended from school after inappropriately touching a teacher's aid.

"A letter from La Vega school district administrators to the student's parents said that the boy was involved in "inappropriate physical behavior interpreted as sexual contact and/or sexual harassment" after he hugged the woman and he "rubbed his face in the chest of (the) female employee" on Nov. 10."

Has the world gone mad or is it just in Waco?

Houston Chronicle

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How can they claim he comitted an offense that he probably doesn't even understand?

4. Dec 12, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Are they so incredibly stupid that they can't recognize when someone is being treated as a mother substitute? The ***** should have been honoured that he felt that comfortable with her.

5. Dec 12, 2006 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Strange environment when the actions of a child can no longer be considered as innocent.

6. Dec 12, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Uhhh, errr... are you forgetting Kansas? :uhh:

7. Dec 12, 2006 #6

verty

Homework Helper

He really should have known better! Four years is a veritable age. Imagine what those little tykes will get up to if we let this go unpunished.

8. Dec 12, 2006 #7
    The father should report the teaching aid for child abuse. If there was indeed any sort of "inappropriate physical behavior interpreted as sexual contact" then the adult is to blame and not the child, simply by default.

9. Dec 12, 2006 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If he's in kindergarten, then he's almost five, and a five year old should know better. If this 'un didn't know better, then he needs to be taught. Remember that you are reading a short news story; thus, none of us know the full story. Is it possible that the teacher is not nuts? Is it possible that this kid actually did go beyond "innocent" rubbing of face in the woman's breasts? I've seen plenty of four year old lateley who desperately need some actual punishiment (at long last) for inappropriate behavior. It's actually the parents who need to be punished, IMO. Take a guess what many children are watching on cable TV before they are 5. [/RANT]

10. Dec 12, 2006 #9
    Do you really think suspending a 4 year old is a punishment for that 4 year old?

11. Dec 12, 2006 #10
    I am very much in favour for harsh punishments for criminals but don't you think what you say there is a bit too harsh. Indeed, this is just a child and it's motivations are different. Besides, what happened to explaining and learning ?

marlon

12. Dec 12, 2006 #11
    How...how can anyone possibly take this seriously? What on earth is wrong with people these days? Since when were four year olds capable of sexual harassment?

13. Dec 12, 2006 #12
    i just hope he isnt tryed as an adult :rofl:

14. Dec 12, 2006 #13

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Youth evolves. They can even be terrorists at that age, so go figure. We must be on our guards. I propose pre-emptive capital punishment.
    :biggrin:

15. Dec 12, 2006 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It would have been more appropriate to explain to the child that what he did was not appropriate and advise the parents that they need to make sure the message is backed by them.

I do remember an old boyfriend that had very definite sexual thoughts at the age of 4. He said he used to get away with watching his older sister's girfriends undress, they thought he was too young to understand. Oh, he understood.

16. Dec 12, 2006 #15
    Once the child does something like that there really is no options left, you have to put them down. :frown:

17. Dec 12, 2006 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To return to this for a final time:

what we do not know is what lead up to the suspension. We don't and probably won't know if and or how many times the explanation was given to the child. All information about the history of the child is very secret. The only reason we know anything about this is due to the parents choosing. The parent will of corse choose to give one side to the story making it seem that the teacher, the principal, and probably the superintendant have all lost thier minds. Having seen my share of events misrepresented to the public, I think that it is at least POSSIBLE that the child has acted out inappropriately in the past and has been warned.

The punishiment was an "in-school suspension." This was probably for a single day, if that. This is essentially the "Big time-out room." What do you think happens there? This is where the right people will be able to do the explaining so the kid can perhaps begin to understand why he can't behave in such a manner.

It annoys me greatly that the public is more and more expecting the schools to be responsible for teaching civility to children (since more and more parents are neglecting this role) but whenever the schools make an effort in doing so, the public gets in an uproar when the schools go beyond talking mildly to the children.

18. Dec 12, 2006 #17
    He is registered as a sex offender now, isn't he? I don't want that kind of kid around my neighborhood, just doesn't feel safe.

He's abusing adults now, but I'll bet he's a closet pedophile too.

19. Dec 12, 2006 #18
    Expel the kid!!!! I don't want my 4 year-old daughter going to school with this little pervert!!!!

20. Dec 13, 2006 #19

verty

Homework Helper

Certainly if there's a history of inappropriate behaviour and the parents haven't responded, it makes sense.

21. Dec 14, 2006 #20
    More like a adultofile. Instead of abusing kids, he abuses adults.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?