1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5 Methods to use a transistor as Diode.

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    List at least five methods by which a transistor can be used as a diode.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know three configurations viz. Collector Emitter Short, Collector Base short and Base emitter Short..
    What would be the remaining two configurations.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2
    For me the word methods is ambiguous and I'm not sure your interpretation of it as configurations is correct either. Perhaps by methods they mean ways as in 5 ways by which a transistor can be used as a diode. This would suggest at least 5 different circuits in which a transistor functions as a diode in different ways. Can you think of 5 different functions of a diode and how a transistor might be substituted?

It seems to me a good place to start would be reading a detailed data sheet of a transistor and trying to think of all the different ways those parameters might apply to a diode.

4. Sep 7, 2009 #3
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WvcXS-9MEtIxp8zYh6Hpew?authkey=Gv1sRgCIzu-ov979TfqQE&feat=directlink [Broken]

I got the answer on IEEE...thanks anyways

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 7, 2009 #4
    I got the other two also....
    Use only 2 pins....i.e. Collector Base with emitter open
    and
    Emitter Base with collector open.......thanks anyway

6. Sep 7, 2009 #5
    yes, and the 5 methods?

7. Sep 7, 2009 #6
    Collector Base with emitter open

Emitter Base with collector open

Collector Emitter Short

Collector Base short

Base emitter Short

And yes you may call them 5 ways if not methods!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook