Understanding Transistor Biasing in a Circuit

In summary: Thanks for pointing this out.In summary, the book assumes that the battery is connected between both Base-Emitter and Collector Emitter, when in fact only one battery is used. The author assumes that the 20 V battery is connected between both Base-Emitter as well as Collector Emitter, when in fact only one battery is used. The author assumes that the 20 V battery is connected between both Base-Emitter and Collector Emitter, when in fact only one battery is used.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

Example1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a solved example in my Physics textbook . I don't understand how this problem can be done without specifying the battery VBB in the Base Emitter loop .

The author assumes that the 20 V battery is connected between both Base-Emitter as well as Collector Emitter ?

Instead it should be VBE = VBB - IBRB ?

VBB is the biasing battery in Base Emitter loop .

Please help me understand this .

Attachments

• Example1.jpg
    Example1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 765
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
The author assumes that the 20 V battery is connected between both Base-Emitter as well as Collector Emitter ?
Here only one battery is used.
What exactly is your confusion?

cnh1995 said:
Here only one battery is used.
What exactly is your confusion?

How is 20V battery connected between Base and Emitter ?

How does 20 V battery come in picture while writing KVL in the Base Emitter loop ?

In fact where is the loop to write KVL ?

Jahnavi said:
How is 20V battery connected between Base and Emitter ?
Like this:
20171227_192409.jpg

Attachments

• 20171227_192409.jpg
    20171227_192409.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 730
Likes CWatters and Jahnavi
Jahnavi said:
I am talking about Base-Emitter not Collector-Emitter .
How many paths from +ve terminal to -ve terminal do you see here? The battery can send current through BE junction. In fact, many of the practical transistor circuits use single power source.

Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
How many paths from +ve terminal to -ve terminal do you see here? The battery can send current through BE junction. In fact, many of the practical transistor circuits use single power source.

But not in the way the book seems to apply KVL :smile:

Could you draw the loop which the book assumes so as to apply KVL in Base Emitter loop ?

Please show me how is VBE = 20 - IBRB ?

Jahnavi said:
Please show me how is VBE = 20 - IBRB ?
Let's call the +ve and -ve terminals of the battery P and G respectively.
Starting from P, you can see there's a path
P→RB→Base→Emitter→G.

Apply KVL to this path and see.

Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
Let's call the +ve and -ve terminals of the battery P and G respectively.
Starting from P, you can see there's a path
P→RB→Base→Emitter→G.

Apply KVL to this path and see.

You are right :smile:

Very strange analysis given in yourbook for this example problem. Giving a circuit with all the part values including the transistor beta, then imposing a particular collector current is not right. Consider that a typical npn silicon transistor is unlikely to survive an 18.5 V base-emitter voltage! It's essentially a forward biased diode, and the resulting current would be huge.

Instead, I would have started with an approximation for the base current, assuming forward bias:

##I_B = \frac{(20 - 0.7)\; V}{120\; kΩ} \approx 160 \; μA##

Then found that if the transistor was operating in its linear region that this base current, via the transistor's β, would want to produce an ##I_C## that is closer to 32 mA rather than 2.5 mA . Clearly that can't happen because 32 mA flowing through the collector resistor would produce a potential drop of about 160 V, and there's only 20 V to work with. From this you should be able to draw your own conclusions about what state the transistor will be in, and calculate an approximate value for the actual collector current.

Likes cabraham, Jahnavi and cnh1995
Thanks gneill and cnh1995 .

Likes cnh1995
I agree with gneill, the circuit and the question are inconsistent with each other.

If you just look at the circuit and ignore the problem statement you get a base current of about (20-0.7)/120*10^3=0.16mA. The transistor will try to achieve collector current of 200 times that or 32mA. However the collector resistor limits it to about (20-Vcesat)/5000 ~ 4mA. So according to the circuit the transistor is fully on/saturated.

Likes cabraham

1. What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device commonly used in electronic circuits to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of doped material, usually silicon, with each layer having a different level of conductivity.

2. How does a transistor work?

A transistor works by controlling the flow of electrons through the device. By applying a small current or voltage to one of the layers, known as the base, the transistor can amplify or switch a larger current or voltage in the other two layers, known as the collector and emitter.

3. What is the state of a transistor?

The state of a transistor refers to whether it is functioning properly or not. A transistor in a "good" state means that it is able to amplify or switch electronic signals as intended. A transistor in a "bad" state may not work at all or may produce unreliable results.

4. How can I determine the state of a transistor?

The state of a transistor can be determined by testing it with a multimeter or using a circuit simulator. The results of these tests will indicate if the transistor is functioning properly or not. Additionally, visual inspection for any physical damage or defects can also help determine the state of a transistor.

5. Can a transistor be repaired?

In most cases, a transistor cannot be repaired. Once it is damaged or broken, it will need to be replaced. However, if the damage is minor, it is possible to remove the damaged part of the transistor and replace it with a new one, or to re-solder any loose connections that may be causing issues.