Collector Current: Majority & Minority Carriers

In summary: The base current is small compared to the emitter current.In summary, the collector current in a transistor is made up of two components - the majority and minority carriers. The majority carriers, which are the electrons from the emitter, make up the main component of the collector current. The minority carriers, which are the holes from the collector, make up the leakage current. The equation for total collector current is given by Ic = Ic(majority) + Ico(minority). For general purpose transistors, Ic is measured in milliamperes and Ico is measured in microamperes and nanoamperes. The confusion arises due to the majority and minority carriers being labeled differently, but this is because the
mooncrater

Homework Statement

In my book ,I found this line which says ,"The collector current comprises two components-the majority and the minority carriers .The minority-current component is called the leakage current and is given the symbol ##I_{CO}## .The collector current, therefore is determined in total by $$I_C=I_{C_{majority}}+I_{CO_{minority}}$$
For general purpose transistors, ##I_C## is measured in milliamperes and ##I_{CO}## is measured in microamperes and nanoamperes."

Homework Equations

We know that major part of the emitter current goes into the collector current (npn transistor). And therefore, emitter and collector currents are in milliamperes and base current is in microamperes.

The Attempt at a Solution

The confusion here I face is due to the majority and minority in subscript. We know that the holes in the collector are the minority carriers, but they are the cause of considerable collector current. But according to this equation the "majority" current is in milliamperes and the minority current is in microamperes. This doesn't make sense. What is wrong with my thinking here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

In my book ,I found this line which says ,"The collector current comprises two components-the majority and the minority carriers .The minority-current component is called the leakage current and is given the symbol ##I_{CO}## .The collector current, therefore is determined in total by $$I_C=I_{C_{majority}}+I_{CO_{minority}}$$
For general purpose transistors, ##I_C## is measured in milliamperes and ##I_{CO}## is measured in microamperes and nanoamperes."

Homework Equations

We know that major part of the emitter current goes into the collector current
(npn transistor). And therefore, emitter and collector currents are in milliamperes and base current is in microamperes.

The Attempt at a Solution

The confusion here I face is due to the majority and minority in subscript. We know that the holes in the collector are the minority carriers, but they are the cause of considerable collector current. But according to this equation the "majority" current is in milliamperes and the minority current is in microamperes. This doesn't make sense. What is wrong with my thinking here?
You answered your question already. The Base-Collector diode is reverse biased, so the minority carriers (holes) go from the collector to the base and electrons from the base to the collector. But the base has not only its own minority carriers, but also those, coming from the emitter. For them, the potential of the collector is attracting. They mean the main component of the collector current.

Likes mooncrater

1. What is collector current?

Collector current refers to the flow of electric current in a transistor that is collected by the collector terminal. It is an important parameter in the operation of a transistor and is typically measured in amperes.

2. What are majority and minority carriers?

In a transistor, majority carriers refer to the majority of charge carriers (either electrons or holes) that are present in the material. Minority carriers, on the other hand, refer to the minority of charge carriers that are present. In a P-N junction, majority carriers are the dominant carriers on their respective sides, while minority carriers diffuse across the junction.

3. How do majority and minority carriers affect collector current?

Majority carriers are the main contributors to the collector current in a transistor. However, minority carriers can also contribute to the current, especially in certain types of transistors such as bipolar junction transistors. The presence of minority carriers can affect the conductivity and current flow in a transistor.

4. How does the collector current change with respect to the base current?

The collector current in a transistor is directly proportional to the base current. This means that as the base current increases, the collector current will also increase. However, there is a limit to this relationship known as the saturation region, where the collector current reaches a maximum value and does not increase further with an increase in base current.

5. What factors affect collector current in a transistor?

There are several factors that can affect the collector current in a transistor, including the material properties of the transistor, the doping levels, the applied voltage, and the temperature. Additionally, the type of transistor (such as a bipolar junction transistor or a field-effect transistor) can also affect the collector current.