A bar subject to a rolling disk which is released on an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a rigid body and its initial acceleration, with the given answer being a_A=\displaystyle\frac{g\sin \theta}{1-\frac{3}{4}\cos^2\theta}. The person asking the question has attempted to solve it using moment and Newton's equations, but is still unsure about the reasoning behind the solution found on the internet. They specifically have doubts about the equation \displaystyle\sum_{}{M_A}=I\alpha+\displaystyle\sum_{}{}mad and are seeking clarification.
Telemachus
Well, it's my second post about rigid body. I originally posted this on introductory physics, but as nobody answered this, or the previous topic, I've decided to post this here.

Homework Statement

I have this other exercise rigid in the plane, with which I am having problems.

The rod of mass m and length l, is released based on the vertical position of rest with the small roller end A resting on the slope. Determine the initial acceleration A.
attachment.php?attachmentid=32766&stc=1&d=1299177876.png

(neglect friction and mass of the roller A)

The answer given by the book is [tex]a_A=\displaystyle\frac{g\sin \theta}{1-\frac{3}{4}\cos^2\theta}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I try to raise the moment equation, and Newton. But not me, not that I'm doing wrong. For this consider that the bar rotates about its center of mass.
[tex]I_{cm}=\displaystyle\frac{mL^2}{12}[/tex]
[tex]N-mg\cos\theta=0[/tex]
[tex]mg\sin\theta=ma_{cm}[/tex]
[tex]I_{cm}\alpha=\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}mg\sin\theta\cos\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\alpha=\displaystyle\frac{6g\sin\theta\cos\theta}{L}[/tex]
[tex]a_cm=g\sin\theta[/tex]

Then: [tex]a_A=a_{cm}+\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\alpha=g\sin\theta+3g\cos\theta\sin\theta[/tex]

Greetings and thanks for posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found the answer on the internet. But I still having some doubts about how he makes the reasoning of it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=32805&stc=1&d=1299264693.png

I don't realize how he makes the reasoning for this:
[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{}{M_A}=I\alpha+\displaystyle\sum_{}{}mad[/tex]
[tex]0=\displaystyle\frac{ml^2}{12}\alpha\alpha+m\displaystyle\frac{l}{2}\alpha\displaystyle\frac{l}{2}-ma_A\displaystyle\frac{l}{2}\cos\theta[/tex]

I realize about the trivial part: [tex]\displaystyle\sum_{}{M_A}=0[/tex] but I don't know how to get to the other part of the equality, the one concerning to [tex]I\alpha+\displaystyle\sum_{}{}mad[/tex]

Can somebody help me a little bit please?

Attachments

• Dibujo.PNG
    Dibujo.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 429

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the rolling disk?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the rolling disk will accelerate downwards due to the force of gravity. As the angle decreases, the acceleration of the disk will also decrease.

2. Does the mass of the rolling disk affect its motion on the inclined plane?

Yes, the mass of the rolling disk will affect its motion on the inclined plane. A heavier disk will have a greater force of gravity acting on it, causing it to accelerate faster down the inclined plane compared to a lighter disk.

3. What factors determine the speed of the rolling disk on the inclined plane?

The speed of the rolling disk will depend on the angle of the inclined plane, the mass of the disk, and the coefficient of friction between the disk and the surface of the inclined plane. These factors will determine the net force acting on the disk, which will then determine its acceleration and speed.

4. Is the motion of the rolling disk on the inclined plane affected by air resistance?

In most cases, the effects of air resistance on the rolling disk will be negligible and can be ignored. However, if the disk is moving at high speeds or the angle of the inclined plane is very steep, air resistance may have a noticeable effect on the motion of the disk.

5. How does the shape or size of the rolling disk affect its motion on the inclined plane?

The shape or size of the rolling disk will not significantly affect its motion on the inclined plane as long as its mass and surface area are kept constant. However, a disk with a larger surface area may experience slightly more air resistance, which could affect its motion.