A Beam of rectangular cross section 200mm deep and 100mm wide

In summary, the problem involves finding the optimal ratio of dimensions for a beam under bending stress, using the flexure formula. Calculus is needed to solve the problem, and it is recommended to first optimize the ratio for a fixed cross-sectional area before optimizing the area itself.
forexpipz

Homework Statement

Please visit my flickr link for a scanned image of the problem statement.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93763273@N05/8815418518/lightbox/

Homework Equations

M/I = σ/y = E/R This is the flexure or bending formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) = 8.333 kN
b) = 12.5 kN
c) = I can do this one

d)

This one is giving me some difficulty. If I increase the 200mm dimension by 20% the stress value goes down 8680 Newtons. I have played around with the other dimension but this could be a laborious process. Could someone please explain to me how I would go about this. Is there some sort of optimal ratio here. Can I use calculus and if so just how do i go about it? Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
forexpipz said:
Can I use calculus and if so just how do i go about it?
Yes, you'll need calculus. It seems intuitive to use as much cross-sectional area as allowed, but we need not assume that. I would approach it as supposing the area is fixed as A and optimising the ratio for that area. Having found that relationship, you can go about optimising the area.

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a rectangular beam?

The formula for calculating the area of a rectangular beam is A = bh, where A is the area, b is the width, and h is the height or depth of the beam.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a rectangular beam?

The moment of inertia for a rectangular beam is calculated using the formula I = (bh^3)/12, where b is the width and h is the height or depth of the beam.

3. What is the maximum bending stress for a rectangular beam?

The maximum bending stress for a rectangular beam can be calculated using the formula σ = M*c/I, where M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia.

4. How do you determine the deflection of a rectangular beam?

The deflection of a rectangular beam can be calculated using the formula δ = (5*w*L^4)/(384*E*I), where w is the load per unit length, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

5. What is the maximum shear stress for a rectangular beam?

The maximum shear stress for a rectangular beam can be calculated using the formula τ = (3*V)/(2*A), where V is the shear force and A is the cross-sectional area of the beam.