1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find beam stress in a beam with varying cross section

1. Mar 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the stresses in my beam. The cross section varies (shown in the picture), and I don't know how I'm supposed to think to find the maximum stress. I appreciate tips or links to learn how to do it. Thanks. Sorry if the picture is bad, but I hope you understand what I mean.
    odin.png

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know what to do when my cross section varies.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know what to do when my cross section varies.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are standard methods for dealing with variable section beams . Have you done any research online or looked in any standard reference books such as Timoshenko or Megson ?

What are the full details of the actual problem that you are dealing with ?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. Mar 5, 2017 #3
    Hi, the problem is to design a beam by myself. I don't have any spesific dimensions. The problem is that I don't know how to deal with it when it goes from one cross section to another. I have tried to look it up on online, but didn't find anything. I just know that it should look something like that with a hole for a wheel to roll into.

Thanks! :)

5. Mar 5, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try posting a 3D sketch of the whole assembly of beam , wheels and any other related components .

6. Mar 5, 2017 #5
    Something like this. The forces come from the wheel because they are supporting a weight. phys.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted