Find beam stress in a beam with varying cross section

• Thread starter Bohr1227
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the stresses in my beam. The cross section varies (shown in the picture), and I don't know how I'm supposed to think to find the maximum stress. I appreciate tips or links to learn how to do it. Thanks. Sorry if the picture is bad, but I hope you understand what I mean.
odin.png

Homework Equations

I don't know what to do when my cross section varies.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do when my cross section varies.

Answers and Replies

Nidum
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are standard methods for dealing with variable section beams . Have you done any research online or looked in any standard reference books such as Timoshenko or Megson ?

What are the full details of the actual problem that you are dealing with ?

Last edited:
There are standard methods for dealing with variable section beams . Have you done any research online or looked in any standard reference books such as Timoshenko or Megson ?

What are the full details of the actual problem that you are dealing with ?
Hi, the problem is to design a beam by myself. I don't have any spesific dimensions. The problem is that I don't know how to deal with it when it goes from one cross section to another. I have tried to look it up on online, but didn't find anything. I just know that it should look something like that with a hole for a wheel to roll into.

Thanks! :)

Nidum
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Try posting a 3D sketch of the whole assembly of beam , wheels and any other related components .

Try posting a 3D sketch of the whole assembly of beam , wheels and any other related components .
Something like this. The forces come from the wheel because they are supporting a weight.
phys.png