A book for a mathematical description of GR

In summary, "A book for a mathematical description of GR" is a comprehensive guide to understanding the mathematical concepts and equations used in General Relativity (GR). It is primarily written for scientists, mathematicians, and students with a strong background in mathematics and physics. It is suitable for self-study, but prior knowledge of GR and mathematics is recommended. Prerequisites for reading this book include a basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics, as well as knowledge of special relativity and electromagnetism. This book stands out from others on GR due to its focus on the mathematical aspects and its inclusion of examples and exercises for better understanding.
astrolollo
Hello everyone
I need a good book dealing with the mathematical foundations of GR. I am looking for a rigorous one but i don't need a book on Differential Geometry. Just the stuff i need for GR. Thanks for the replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend Wald in that case.

Likes dextercioby

1. What is "A book for a mathematical description of GR" about?

"A book for a mathematical description of GR" is a comprehensive guide to understanding the mathematical concepts and equations used in General Relativity (GR). It covers topics such as tensor analysis, spacetime curvature, and the Einstein field equations.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

This book is primarily written for scientists, mathematicians, and students who have a strong background in mathematics and physics. It is not recommended for those without a solid understanding of advanced mathematical concepts.

3. Is this book suitable for self-study?

Yes, this book can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have some prior knowledge of GR and mathematics. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of differential geometry and tensor analysis.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics is necessary for understanding the concepts presented in this book. Knowledge of special relativity and electromagnetism is also helpful.

5. What makes this book stand out from other books on GR?

This book focuses specifically on the mathematical description of GR, providing a detailed and rigorous treatment of the subject. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers better understand the concepts and equations presented.