A Charged metal Sphere [does charge move around]

In summary, if a metal sphere is positively charged, then by symmetry the charge will be distributed evenly on the surface.
hms.tech
For a charged metal sphere of charge "+q" is the following statement true ?

all the excess charge is in static equilibrium

The statement basically implies that the excess charge on the surface can't (and does not) move, hence supporting the theory that the Electric Field lines emerging from the metal sphere are always perpendicular to the surface .

Otherwise there would be a component of Electric field parallel to the charged surface thus would move the charge inside the metal sphere.

If it is, how does one come about this statement, and what is the reason for assuming it .

Physics news on Phys.org
hms.tech said:
For a charged metal sphere of charge "+q" is the following statement true ?

all the excess charge is in static equilibrium

nope

for a conductor in equilibrium, all the excess charge is in static equilibrium

(if the conductor isn't in equilibrium, then all bets are off :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
nope

for a conductor in equilibrium, all the excess charge is in static equilibrium

(if the conductor isn't in equilibrium, then all bets are off :wink:)

I don't quite get your point.

Firstly, a metal is a conductor (all metals are)

secondly, what exactly do u mean by A Conductor/metal in equilibrium ?

Remember that i am asking about a positively charged metal sphere.

By the link you provided, it says :

In equilibrium, the charge inside a conductor is zero, and the density of charge at the surface is greater...

the statement basically states that for a metal sphere, the excess charge is distributed evenly at the surface hence no excess charge exists INSIDE of the sphere.

That is what i understand from the link you provided ^^ ... am i right in thinking that way ?

If i am right, then moving on to the bedrock of this discussion , is the excess charge (which only lies on the surface of a metal sphere) in static equilibrium ?

hms.tech said:
… the statement basically states that for a metal sphere, the excess charge is distributed evenly at the surface hence no excess charge exists INSIDE of the sphere.

That is what i understand from the link you provided ^^ ... am i right in thinking that way ?

yes :smile:

in equilibrium, the charge stays on the surface of any conductor

(and if the conductor is a sphere, and if there is no external field, then by symmetry the charge will be distributed evenly)
If i am right, then moving on to the bedrock of this discussion , is the excess charge (which only lies on the surface of a metal sphere) in static equilibrium ?

if the charge is in equilibrium, then the charge is in equilibrium

if it isn't, then it isn't

for example, if a charged sphere is brought near another charged object, the charge will rearrange itself … while it's rearranging, it's not in equilibrium

The statement is based on the principle of electrostatic equilibrium, which states that the net electric field inside a conductor is zero. In other words, the charges inside a conductor are arranged in such a way that they cancel out each other's electric fields, resulting in a net zero electric field inside the conductor.

In the case of a charged metal sphere, the excess charge on the surface creates an electric field that is perpendicular to the surface. This electric field repels the charges inside the sphere, causing them to redistribute themselves on the surface until the electric field inside the sphere is zero.

This redistribution of charges creates a stable state of equilibrium, where the excess charge on the surface remains in place and does not move. This is because any movement of the excess charge would create an imbalanced electric field, which would then cause the charges inside the sphere to move until equilibrium is reached again.

Therefore, it can be concluded that in a charged metal sphere, all the excess charge is in static equilibrium, and there is no movement of charge within the sphere. This statement is based on the principles of electrostatics and can be supported by experimental evidence.

1. What is a charged metal sphere?

A charged metal sphere is a spherical object made of a conductive material, such as metal, that has an excess of either positive or negative charge. This charge is evenly distributed across the surface of the sphere.

2. How does charge move around in a charged metal sphere?

In a charged metal sphere, the excess charge is free to move around within the conductive material. This is because the electrons in the metal are able to move freely, allowing the charge to distribute evenly across the surface of the sphere.

3. Does the charge always stay on the surface of the sphere?

Yes, the charge on a charged metal sphere will always stay on the surface. This is due to the repulsive forces between like charges, which push the excess charge to the outer surface of the sphere.

4. What happens if the sphere is touched by a conductor?

If a charged metal sphere is touched by a conductor, the excess charge will distribute itself evenly across the surface of the conductor. This is because the conductor provides a path for the excess charge to move through and reach a state of equilibrium.

5. Can a charged metal sphere lose its charge?

Yes, a charged metal sphere can lose its charge over time due to a process called electrical discharge. This occurs when the excess charge on the sphere is able to flow to a region of lower potential, such as the ground. Factors such as humidity and temperature can also affect the rate of discharge.