1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Chebyshev interval with a poisson distribution

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] A Chebyshev interval with a poisson distribution

Geophysicists determine the age of a zircon by counting the number of uranium fission tracks on a polished surface; the number of these uranium fission tracks on this surface follows a Possion distribution. A particular zircon is of such an age that the average number of tracks per square centimeter is seven. Give an interval that will include at least 60% of the sample values of fission track counts obtained from a large number of square centimeter samples.

I know this problem require chebyshevs theorem, but I don't have the standard deviation. How do I figure this out?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    I think I've figured it out. Lambda is the mean and the variance for a Poisson distribution. So SQR 100 is the standard deviation in this problem. From there its a matter of solving for k and finding the interval.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?