1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A circuit problem involving voltage/current.

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w04_qp_2.pdf
    number 6b

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR
    E=IR+Ir maybe

3. The attempt at a solution
    Im not sure why the line which is supposed to be drawn passes through the top right corner.

Also, im not sure how to go about the second part.. how to find the resistance at C? I dont know the PD across it. What am i missing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2
    The line you have to draw is a line with resistance 1500ohms.
    When the voltage is 6 (horizontal axis) the current will be 4mA (he vertical axis)
    Hope this gets you to the next step.

4. May 29, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Pick a few values of voltage and plot the points for the resulting current through the 1500Ω resistor. Is the I/V plot for this component going to be curved or straight?
    You know the total PD across both. What does that tell you about the sum of the individual PD's? In what approximate location on the graph must the circuit be operating? (hint: vary the current and estimate the PD's on both components).

5. May 29, 2012 #4
    Thanks. I missed the resistor R part :/ :/

So with the 2 graphs we estimate the current when V=2.
    0.75A and 1.3 something, and add them together

6. May 29, 2012 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that'll do it for part (b)(ii).

For some reason I was looking at part (c) when I wrote what I did about summing the potential drops. I'm glad you managed to work out the similar process for part (b)(ii) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook